Two Major Omissions In The OnePlus 2!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The OnePlus 2 was announced this evening, and I have to say that I am pretty excited about this device. It ticks off just about all the boxes when it comes to desired features and with these specs the price can't be beat. If OnePlus can keep up with the demand and avoid the invitation debacle of last years OnePlus One release I think they will have a winner on their hands. While this will certainly be a HOT device and for good reason there are two blaring omissions in this device.

The phone includes a 3300mah battery and also Oxygen OS which should include plenty of battery optimizations. Even so power users will certainly be able to drain this battery pretty quickly. If it is unable to last you the full day you will have to live with normal wired slow charging. The OnePlus 2 does not support Qualcomm's Quick Charging or any type of Wireless charging.

This could be due to the fact they decided to use the USB Type C. Quick charging requires a compatible power controller which may not work with USB Type C. Whatever the reason is behind not including the Quick Charge capability it seems like a pure miss on the part of OnePlus. They have confirmed that even without the Quick Charge the OnePlus 2 will charge in about 3 hours and 20 minutes which is about 3xs as long as with a fast charger.

via AndroidPolice

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
This could be due to the fact they decided to use the USB Type C. Quick charging requires a compatible power controller which may not work with USB Type C.

That is actually not true according to Qualcomm, "Quick Charge 2.0 is designed to be connector-independent. Quick Charge 2.0 can be implemented with a variety of formats, including USB Type-A, USB micro, USB Type-C, and other proprietary connectors."

Qualcomm Quick Charge FAQs Qualcomm

Anyways, it is weird that OnePlus is dropping a lot of these features. My personal opinion is that the company is trying to move further and further away from being the 'norm.' The CEO came out and blatantly stated that Android Pay would be a failure and that's why they would not put NFC on their phone. I'm a little disappointed with OnePlus's new offering. I feel like they are doing what another company I will not mention likes to do which is tell me what I want on my phone.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
No quick charge or NFC. Two nails in the coffin..

ktklein72

Reaction score
I can live w/o quick charge or wireless charging, but no matter how much or how little I use NFC, I want a smartphone that has the capability. I'll stick with the OnePlus One for now.

Sent from my Android-powered OnePlus One via Tapatalk...

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm big fan of quick charge.. it should be included in every phone IMO.. NFC I don't use but you have to please the masses... don't say people don't use it..and that is why you are not including it.. that BS...

Tapped by NexusSix

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree. There's no way I could go back to a device that doesn't have quick charge, it should be the standard on every new device these days. As for NFC we use ours quite frequently since our S3's. S Beam is the quickest & easiest way to share one or dozens of pictures in a matter of seconds.

S5 tap'n