Two critical lockups in two days. SS 5.2

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Vaclov, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Vaclov

Vaclov New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, yesterday morning my Droid decided that it wanted to lock up and randomly soft reboot. When it restarted it would loop through the animation once and then appear to soft reboot again and then hang on the animation. It was stuttering badly. I flashed a new kernal with no effect, so I wiped and reinstalled. It took 20 minutes for the phone to boot. After that it seemed to be behaving.

Today, it did it again. I was able to get it to boot again after another 20 minute wait, but now the phone is unresponsive. It's still running processes as I'm looking at the logcat and it's doing...something. It's mostly greek to me. I'm not quite sure where to proceed from here. It seems like it's a ROM or software issue as I can boot to recovery after a battery pull just fine, and the phone appears to flash files without issue. I'm really hoping that this isn't a hardware issue. I can't help but wonder if it's the physical system RAM developing issues or maybe the processor.

I'm running CWR 2.5.0.1.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Vaclov

Vaclov New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bah, and after having let it sit another 20 minutes it soft rebooted again and now seems to be functioning normally. Just what the heck is going on here. :huh:

3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    If you are watching the logcat - try to have it running as often as you can - if it happens to soft reboot while it is running, send the dump to me ... chevyno1.droid@gmail.com

4. Vaclov

Vaclov New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You'll have to give me a little direction on that one. My knowledge of adb is just enough to get me in trouble, and more than enough to follow directions.

Would the typical "adb logcat >> logcat.txt" DOS format work after it reboots or would I need to pull the file from somewhere else?

5. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    That should work, yes! But you'll want to do that BEFORE it reboots - then, if you see it reboot - let go a minute, then end the logcat via CTRL-C. The logcat.txt should then show what happened ...

6. Vaclov

Vaclov New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It happened again this evening. Unfortunately I can't really keep my phone hooked up to a pc all the time waiting for it to lock up as it happens at random. I really only ever know that it's happened when I pull out my phone to use it. So right now all I have as far as logcat is the reboot and hang. Email on the way.