Two Californians Sue Google Inc. Over 15 Minute Return Policy

BigButtonsKeyboard

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot get a refund for most downloaded or store-bought software of any type correct? If you buy a PS3 game, or a PC program at Best Buy or whatever once it's opened it's yours. Not sure why things should be different when it's so easy for people to pirate apps if they see fit. Fifteen minutes is fine.

The only reason software has never been returnable like other consumer products, is it can be installed (stolen) before it is returned. Otherwise it would have been like anything else you buy from a store - a week or whatever to return it.

So this sorta stunk for the honest customer who would have only returned a piece of software because they seriously didn't want it and weren't going to use it. And while not being able to return something they had reecently purchased was certainly new and annoying, they got used to it.

The different now is, Google can remotely "uninstall" any software from any Android phone, anytime - effectively eliminating "theft".

So with the needed infrastructure already in place - it's really easy to give the customer a much better purchase experience than the dreaded "panic evaluation."

jt122333221

Reaction score
The different now is, Google can remotely "uninstall" any software from any Android phone, anytime - effectively eliminating "theft".

So with the needed infrastructure already in place - it's really easy to give the customer a much better purchase experience than the dreaded "panic evaluation."

This may be true, but with the multiple methods we have to backup an app, it's not possible for Google to make sure that we don't have a backup of the apk file. It's only possible for them to check and verify (once) that the app is no longer installed on the phone.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
They're suing not over the $5....but the principle.

Some in here have noted that w/games & DVDs...there are no returns. NOT TRUE! I can take that game back to walmart and exchange it...OR...I can get store credit!

If Google offered some form of credit, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it didn't work, I could get credit to go towards something else!

For Google to make it to where you have to basically beg the dev...that's just wrong. And Google needs to "pay" for that.

Or, open the window to at least an hour. If you're beating games in an hour, then more power to ya! But an hour seems like a very acceptable time period. You can get in...test it out....write notes or try some levels...and decide if you wanna keep it!

BigButtonsKeyboard

Reaction score
This may be true, but with the multiple methods we have to backup an app, it's not possible for Google to make sure that we don't have a backup of the apk file. It's only possible for them to check and verify (once) that the app is no longer installed on the phone.

I think the thief would have to crack the signature associated with the apk, which is no small task. Once your phone ID and app ID is on an "auto-delete list", it's over. I may be wrong.