Two Californians Sue Google Inc. Over 15 Minute Return Policy

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is just absurd! People need to use the tools in front of them when looking to purchase anything including apps. There are user reviews a star rating and other such tools available. People are lucky that there is a return policy at all. Much like other digital media that can be copied so can apps. There is no return policy on DVDs or music.: if you can't tell if an app works or not in 15 minutes you have more issues than just loosing $4.99.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

And that's why I stopped buying cds and dvds decades ago. Same reason I don't buy apps unless they are 10 cents. There are always alternative ways of getting them.

killuhjason

Reaction score
I think if the app will take more then 15mins to upload(game loft games)....then yea...

could not agree more, I downloaded a game, waited for the 200 something odd mb of additional data to download, by that time the 15 minute window was past, and the game wouldnt work, i couldnt return the app and was out $4.99

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I was able to get a refund for an application that didn't work because it failed to download. I got that refund like a day or two later.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Usually if you email the developer they will help you out

GUMMY

captdroid

Reaction score
The developer should have the flexibility to decide an extended return time such as 30 minutes, 2 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours, etc. A developer can now offer a trial that is fully functional for an extended period of time that is then made fully functional again by paying for the license key upon expiration of the trial. I appreciate developers that have this option so I can be sure the app does what I need and then make the final purchase. e.g. Car Home Ultra has a 30 day trial fully functional and after 30 days I decided yup I want to keep using this app and bought it. Really depends on the app how a trial should be handled. Thus give the developer the options.

BigButtonsKeyboard

Reaction score
Let the dev decide.

Different apps need different return windows - from zero to whatever. Display the return window with the app for the user to see. Not a lot of programming or hassle to do this.

Regardless, as a default, I think 15 minutes is unnecessarily too short.

Unrelated, it would be helpful to allow users to roll back to a previous release, in case they run into trouble with an update.

It's almost impossible to do bulletproof testing on a bazillion different phones.

Last edited:

Katt50

Reaction score
Different apps need different return windows - from zero to whatever. Display the return window with the app for the user to see. Not a lot of programming or hassle to do this.

Regardless, as a default, I think 15 minutes is unnecessarily too short.

Unrelated, it would be helpful to allow users to roll back to a previous release, in case they run into trouble with an update.

It's almost impossible to do bulletproof testing on a bazillion different phones.

15 minutes is way too short, especially with apps you need to have downloaded by wi-fi.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using DroidForums

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
15 min is a joke and I hope they win.

on Edit... I still hope they win :)>

Last edited:

jt122333221

Reaction score
15 min is a joke and I hope they win.

They won't win. How would that be fair? That would imply that I could sue Apple over their nonexistant return policy and win, all because it's "not fair."

I only purchase apps when I know they will work, i.e. another reviewer with a bionic has used the app. I have no issues with the 15 minute return policy. In fact, with digital media, I'm surprised Google hasn't initiated an "as-is" policy and discontinued refunds altogether. It would be the smart way to go with this, considering almost every other digital media company has done the same in some capacity.

lowvolt

Reaction score
They won't win. How would that be fair? That would imply that I could sue Apple over their nonexistant return policy and win, all because it's "not fair."

I only purchase apps when I know they will work, i.e. another reviewer with a bionic has used the app. I have no issues with the 15 minute return policy. In fact, with digital media, I'm surprised Google hasn't initiated an "as-is" policy and discontinued refunds altogether. It would be the smart way to go with this, considering almost every other digital media company has done the same in some capacity.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jerkwad

Reaction score

Fair? Since when is this kind of stuff "fair" lol I don't believe they are suing Google on the basis of things being "fair". I'm pretty sure they didn't say "Your honor, this isn't fair!" And Apple DOES have a return policy. It's simple: You can't. That IS a policy, however and that policy could come under scrutiny depending on the outcome of this case.

And yes, that's exactly what it would imply should they win this lawsuit. You COULD sue Apple. Of course, it would depend on the grounds for winning a suit against Google, but this is exactly what it could mean for Apple should Google lose this "fight"... now you get it.

I don't understand those that are bashing people for wanting a larger window of opportunity...This only benefits EVERY user in the community. It isn't going to reduce piracy or those that "borrow" an app for 10 minutes, etc.

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot get a refund for most downloaded or store-bought software of any type correct? If you buy a PS3 game, or a PC program at Best Buy or whatever once it's opened it's yours. Not sure why things should be different when it's so easy for people to pirate apps if they see fit. Fifteen minutes is fine.

jerkwad

Reaction score
^ there is a difference (and I feel like i keep saying this) between xbox and ps3 and pc (massive funds/support/testing/quality control/etc) and any "joe-shmoe" developer that comes along and wants to pop an app on the store for $0.99.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. That $0.99 means a lot more to the average joe developer than it does to a huge corporation. If he develops a quality app he shouldn't have to worry about losing money to people pirating the app anymore than professionals should.