Twitter App Updated With Endless New Features

D

DougDroid

twitter-app-113.jpg

With Twitter beginning to integrate almost seamlessly with Android and our daily lives, this new update is certainly well worth noting. Just today, the Twitter application for our devices was updated to the latest 1.0.5. software and what makes the update so special is mainly due to the super long and attractive change log that comes with it.

The changes include:

• Promoted tweets in search. Searching for a topic will return promoted tweets if there are any.
  • Speed improvement for Timeline/lists. Scrolling Tweets is lot smoother now.
  • About, Privacy & Terms added to Settings. Go to Home -> Settings -> About to see what version of Twitter for Android you are running.
  • Quote/Retweet confirmation dialog. The user has the option to either Retweet, Quote, or cancel when tapping on the retweet icon.
  • Cleaner timeline
  • Tweet details. Tap a tweet to view its details.
  • Tweet actions in search results (retweet, favorite, share, reply)
  • Pull-to-refresh. From the top of a list, pull down and release to refresh the list.
  • Swipe to reveal. From your timeline, fling a Tweet left or right to reveal actions underneath.
  • Inline maps. Open a tweet with a geolocation to view a map inline with its content.
  • Search results now contain top tweets
  • Page break. If you haven't refreshed in a while, you may see a page break in your timeline. Tap the page break to load tweet
After all these changes, you can see a lot of improvements by just logging into the software. The UI has undergone some improvements as expressed in the change log and with that comes added speed and stability, which are always very welcomed in the land of apps. I hope with all these changes, you are updated to the latest version and loving your twitter experience that only the best of Android can provide.

By Wen
News via: Engadget ( Twitter for Android updated, adds speed, polish, more options -- Engadget )

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Updating now. Sounds like the ui is going to be a lot better.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

piffey

Reaction score
Just as I switched to TweetDeck too. Better give it another run I guess, but I do like TweetDeck's set up so far, especially with all of the easy option buttons when updating, along with Facebook integration.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok first problem. It keeps logging me out, almost every time I leave the app.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

GrillMouster

Reaction score
This update hasn't (for me, at least) fixed the problem created by the previous update in which the app no longer auto-refreshes. It introduces sound effects that many find annoying without an option to disable them. I'm not a fan of the change that requires users to click on a tweet in the timline in order to see an image or click on a link. I prefer when image previews appeared in the timline and I could click on links directly from the timline. Also images in individual tweets are really, really small.They're so small that I pretty much always have to click on it and wait for the browser to load (slow!).

It still doesn't remember my place in the timeline. I'm okay with the new refresh method (pull down timeline), but don't like that it's the only refresh method. They should have left a refresh option in the menu, because sometimes I like for new tweets to load in the background while I'm catching up on older tweets further down the timeline. I wish this app allowed me to view full-sized versions of profile images, like some third-party Twitter clients do.

Finally, I'm waiting for the day when opening the app will take me directly to the timeline instead of the home menu. That was my favorite improvement to Facebook yesterday. This just seems like a no-brainer to me, because 99.9% of the time that I open the app it's to check out my tweets.

I'm sticking with TweetDeck for now.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same problem here as with the facebook update...thebowers isn't here to invert it for us - chances are I won't be updating this one either - but I really have no issues with the current versions of either one of these applications...

Lois

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place for this question, but does a tweet sent thru a twitter app get charged as a text (no text plan since I don't text) -- likewise if I use app to follow tweets? don't currently tweet, but might start if it doesn't cost. I have verizon.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App