TV Remote App?

dzone67

Reaction score
So how exactly can you use the GS4 to control a TV as a remote? Can't find it anywhere. I'm also having trouble installing luck screen widgets. Please help.

BillyT

Reaction score
The app is called WatchOn. I was unable to get it to control my LG. After 3 attempts, it generated a help desk ticket, which I submitted.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The WhatsOn app has a list of supported TVs you need to select but can't work on all of them even if the remote is IR, which is the first requirement. That means it is line-of-site only.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
The WhatsOn app has a list of supported TVs you need to select but can't work on all of them even if the remote is IR, which is the first requirement. That means it is line-of-site only.

Exactly... that's why it depends on what tv/service you have.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
As others have said, it's the WatchOn app. Took me a little while to figure out as well. The "remote" side of things is quite limited, so I'm not sure I'll actually use it, but it's a neat little app. I got mine set up with my TV, DVR Box, and Home Theater Receiver in no time. Just like setting up any universal remote, really. Strange it doesn't work with all IR components.

With that being said, the stuff you can do once everything is paired is sort of cool. It pulls up your local guide listings, tells you what's on, and gives you the option to watch/record it. I opened it up last night around 11, it told me I "might like" Conan, I hit record, and it immediately tuned my TV to 780 (TBS HD) and started recording.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can download the direct tv app to watch on your phone...

I think that app is really pretty functional. It's nearly as easy for me to find something to tell my system to record than doing it any other way. Make a great TV guide as well.

bkendrick

Reaction score
So we were in a bar last night and I was showing off my new s4. I turned off all the tvs in our area. Bartenders and managers were dumbfounded. This app is pretty cool.