TV Remote App?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Dish Network just released an IPhone app for their systems, and they are working on an Android Version. I use my Droid to control my DN DVR now via their website. Freaks my wife out when she has the Remote and I start changing channels and setting up DVR Events etc with my Droid :)

Also Sling just released their Touch Screen 100 Remote that works on Wi-Fi or IR with DIsh Network DVRs and other Sling stuff. Has on screen Guide data and syncs with your SlingBox and/or DVR. It is very Androidish looking. Will most like snag one of those (shown in it's cradle).

More details here.. Slingbox.com - Sling Media Introduces Sling Touch Control 100 for Television Service Providers

sling-touch-control-md.jpg

mbrown1253

Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this new thing from L5... they're making an infrared attachment for the iPhone and iPod touch and some free app in just the Apple marketplace... But if this one company has figured out how to make this work, I assume that someone else will figure out how to do this for all of the Android based phones. I emailed them last night asking them a few questions so I'm interested if they actually email me back.

The website for this new product (that's not yet available) is
L5 remote

Big Cam

Reaction score
The dish network app mis for setting recordings and whatnot, not changing channels on your TV.

Who the hell would use a cell phone as TV remote anyway, that's just silly.

DDB+

Reaction score
Why would you use the Droid as a Remote? Why would you use the Droid for anything
besides a cell phone?

Because that's one less thing you have to track down (like a remote,
a guitar tuner, an address book). The Droid and other smartphones are essentially
electronic Swiss Army knives: very handy to have around for many different tasks.

mbrown1253

Reaction score
Why the hell would you not want your phone to change the channel? I really hope you're not a Droid owner and just a random poster of this forum. The whole reason for the Droid and the iPhone being so awesome is because it can do nearly everything. I would love for my phone to be able to turn off the TV, surround sound, and DVD player without looking for the remote. I misplace those remotes all the time but I never misplace my phone. Even if one day I happen to do that, I just use the Where's My Droid APP and there you go, it's found.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well for one, if you saw the Directv commercials for it, you are out and forget to record something, etc. Can logon and do so from whereever you are.

Now using it to change the channels, etc. Nifty, but lazy, assuming we're talking about you in the same room as the remote that typically does it.

Now an app to hit up the TV's in Sports (and other) bars ... That's got some nice things going for it! Used to see the crowd go nuts as he passes and it goes to the rcver and ... then I kill the set muhahahaha ....

Anyways, pointless because of no IR. But I have to go back and see if the DTV thing is web based again.