dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Totally would send that sucker down the stairs if she didn't live on the upper part of a condo.

Plus I wanted to donate it or at least recycle it for some cash. Wonder if any places would take an old tube TV like that nowadays anyway.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hey still make dvd /vhs units too.. I just bought my dad one

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Had no idea Costco had that kind of service available. I know it's possible, but it's just time consuming and also not all her tapes. I believe she borrows from friends so it'd be asking them and all that. Also at $18 a DVD, I don't know if she'd want a full conversion, there are hundreds of VHS tapes she's seen and has...

She does have some shows on DVD, but considering it's mostly VHS, I'd rather just save myself the time (as I know I'll be doing it) and her the money.

Awesome suggestion though. May have to do that with some of our own home family videos from when I was a kid. Worth it for things like that, but converting TV shows...I don't know if it's worth it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Taking things down the stairs is easy. Set it up at the top. Give it a firm push. Sweep up the little pieces afterwards.
If there's a landing or a 90 degree turn, kicking may be necessary. Remember to wear hard-toed shoes and/or always use the ball of your foot and NOT your toes to kick.

Broke my toe on a bowling ball once...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
And be cautious.. Those picture tubes are sharp when they shatter. Lol

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Oh.. And certain components can hold a charge (depending on the TV year make and model) even after unplugged so don't get zapped if it breaks.

That charge can be substantial.. Just like rectifier coils on an amp..(guitar amps)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh.. And certain components can hold a charge (depending on the TV year make and model) even after unplugged so don't get zapped if it breaks.

That charge can be substantial.. Just like rectifier coils on an amp..(guitar amps)
I think it's part of the tube assembly itself that holds the most charge, but I can't remember exactly. I've heard enough horror stories to know to keep my hands outta there though. and one is enough.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It depends on the style of tube I think.. And how they ramp up the charge or don't.. Lol.. Either way.. Shocking..

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Had no idea it could hold that much charge even after being unplugged. We've been careful in the past and that won't change for this time. Probably spend more time complaining about how bulky and heavy the TV is compared to the flatscreen replacing it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Had no idea it could hold that much charge even after being unplugged. We've been careful in the past and that won't change for this time. Probably spend more time complaining about how bulky and heavy the TV is compared to the flatscreen replacing it.
As I general rule, as long as the case is intact and you don't reach INSIDE, you should be completely safe to do whatever you want to with it.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As I general rule, as long as the case is intact and you don't reach INSIDE, you should be completely safe to do whatever you want to with it.
Yeah I figured. We'll get it down without anyone getting hurt or parts broken, hopefully. I forget which TV we gave her, but I recall it being the old Sony Triton TV, and those suckers were huge.