[Tutorial]Sysctl and you, A guide to better preformance and battery life.

ncdub

Reaction score
I'm running the honeycomb theme just fine with no radio loss maybe try updated your roaming? *228 option 2

Tried that. It's really weird because about 30 secs after the screen goes dark I lose my 3G. If I wake my device it comes back after about 10 secs.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

SaxaDroid

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thanks to all of you on this thread specially imoseyon....I have been working on some sysctl tweaks for a year now and here is what my file looks like

vm.swappiness = 0
vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096
vm.dirty_ratio = 90
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 70
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 1

#Experiments
kernel.sched_latency_ns = 5000000
kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 1000000
kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns = 1000000
kernel.sched_features = 16305724
#Experiments

#for internet
net.core.rmem_default = 256960
net.core.rmem_max= 256960
net.core.wmem_default = 256960
net.core.wmem_max= 256960
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps= 0
net.ipv4.tcp_sack= 1
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling= 1
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 30
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 30
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 5
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 5
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 1
#for internet

The last set of tweaks I got from speedguide.net which I use their windows tweak for my pc...but I saw they had linux tweaks and decided to try them out...so far no ill effect

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm running the honeycomb theme just fine with no radio loss maybe try updated your roaming? *228 option 2

Tried that. It's really weird because about 30 secs after the screen goes dark I lose my 3G. If I wake my device it comes back after about 10 secs.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I know it's a pain but I would reccomend SBF'ing, rerooting, reflash the rom, theme and this zip and see if it solves it. If not, SBF again and take it back to Verizon to get a replacement as your phone may be defective.

imoseyon

Reaction score
SaxaDroid,
I recognize some of the tcp settings - those are typically used for large file transfers across the WAN (ie. the cellular data network). The kernel scheduling stuff I've been meaning to explore, but i've been putting it off mostly because I honestly didn't think I would notice the difference when they're tweaked. Anyway, good stuff and keep tweaking! :)

Sierra8561

Reaction score
What does the interactive governor do in jrummy droid overclock settings?

SaxaDroid

Reaction score
vm.swappiness = 0
vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096
vm.dirty_ratio = 90
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 70
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 1
vm.laptop_mode = 1
net.core.rmem_default = 524288
net.core.rmem_max= 542488
net.core.wmem_default = 542488
net.core.wmem_max= 542488
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 15
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 30
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 5
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 5
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 1800
net.ipv4.ipfrag_high_thresh = 512000
net.ipv4.ipfrag_low_thresh = 446464
net.ipv4.tcp_max_tw_buckets = 360000
net.core.optmem_max = 57344

My new sysctl...I didn't like the kernel tweaks I had more screen redraws than ever even with my local.prop in /data...well I like how my phone is running so I think I'll be done for now. happy tweaking everyone.

Sierra8561

Reaction score
Is it bad to run your overclock on performance all the time? That is the only way I can click above 1.1

Droid x running Apex 1.4.1

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Performance just clocks to the highest slot, its not bad but not very battery efficient.

DrFeelgood

Reaction score
I flashed the zip and tweaked the settings in Liberty Toolbox to the same values you mentioned but my battery life seems the same.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

imoseyon

Reaction score
I flashed the zip and tweaked the settings in Liberty Toolbox to the same values you mentioned but my battery life seems the same.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
I don't think everyone will notice the battery life improvement. You should see performance improvement though.

sent from my dx running heavily tweaked 3.4.2

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score
imoseyon.....i use your mods on every rom, they are awesome! how would you propose to try saxa's mods in conjunction with your zip 5.2? i want to see if there is a noticable difference with incorporating those kernal tweaks with yours.

imoseyon

Reaction score
You can add your own sysctl settings to the /etc/init.d/99imoseyon file. I wouldn't add them to /etc/sysctl.conf which may get overwritten by your ROM. I think i'll add in support for custom sysctl settings in the next version of my mods.

Ajmazin

Reaction score
When you say restart the phone, should I also use the terminal commands again? and should I have set it to apply on boot (jrummy OC)?

EDIT: Also I have cache cleaner so if set on boot, would I not have to reenter terminal commands?

Last edited: