[Tutorial]Sysctl and you, A guide to better preformance and battery life.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
is it possible for this to backfire? I had a reboot earlier after my phone was too unresponsive to do anything, I'm not pinning it on the modification, just wondering if it could potentially do that and if there's a setting I should play with.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Are you able to use the conservative governor with this new zip?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
OP updated to 5.0. "Mother of all .zips"

imoseyon

Reaction score
is it possible for this to backfire? I had a reboot earlier after my phone was too unresponsive to do anything, I'm not pinning it on the modification, just wondering if it could potentially do that and if there's a setting I should play with.

random reboots are really hard to track down. Which version did you flash? If you flashed the interactive governor version you might want to try the ondemand version.

dirtyfingers, unfortunately conservative governor is not supported yet.

nakhleh926

Reaction score

random reboots are really hard to track down. Which version did you flash? If you flashed the interactive governor version you might want to try the ondemand version.

dirtyfingers, unfortunately conservative governor is not supported yet.

I had flashed the other.zip using the interactive governor from 4.3 on lexlite 3.0, but I'm back on fission now so I'm not even gonna worry about it lol, when I switch back to liberty i'll keep you guys posted. it might have been something else, but no clue what as everything was the same as usual, always rock the same setup.

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
After using this new zip with the interactive governor it actually seems to have noticeably improved my battery life. Everything is running as smooth as ever! Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Droid 2 user

Reaction score
I am new to installing ROMs i need some help

How do i get the rom in my phone because ive been just using rom managers roms and installing tht way but i want better ones and i dont know how to get them in my phone and wen i download a rom on my computer i have winrar and i dont kno what file to pick to put in my phone so if any1 can help that would be great thnx

swagmonster

Reaction score
you dont use winwar to get rid of anything in rom zips
you take the whole zip throw it on your sd card and then boot into clockwork recovery, by by using koushs bootstrap app and rom mananger, during that you go to install zip from sd, then find your rom of choice and flash it,

cantstopthesignal

Reaction score
OK, I'm a real novice and not tremendously tech-savvy. But I've been reading alot and have recently flashed Liberty 1.5 onto my phone. I'm interested in getting better performance and battery life (who isn't?). After finding this thread, I have some basic questions:

firstly, this is in the "Droid 2" Forum and "Droid 2 Rom" thread, but this will work for my Droid X???

OK, If I download and flash the zip (5.0) mentioned in the original post,

1). What exactly does that (5.0) zip DO? Does it help with battery life and/or performance?

2). I'm using QuickClock Advanced for my Overclocking settings. Will this (5.0) zip be compatible with my QuickClock app and settings?

3). If I install the (5.0) zip, will I also need to change the settings in my Liberty Toolbox outlined here:
Sysctl Support: Check
Min Free KBytes: 4096
Dirty Ratio: 90
Dirty Background Ratio: 70
VFS Cache Pressure: 1
Oom Allocating Task: Check

4). If I don't want to go the zip installation route, will just changing the above settings in my Liberty Toolbox give me any benefit? If so, what will that improve?

Thank you in advance for helping answer these basic-n00bified questions :)

Last edited:
OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This zip now gives many more benefits than just sysctl. I recommend installing it and seeing what you think. Also this will work on your droid X just pick the zip with the CPU governor you'd like installed and it will run a script on boot and do the rest for you. Enjoy.

cantstopthesignal

Reaction score
This zip now gives many more benefits than just sysctl. I recommend installing it and seeing what you think. Also this will work on your droid X just pick the zip with the CPU governor you'd like installed and it will run a script on boot and do the rest for you. Enjoy.

Thanks Jboxen, I will install it now! :)

I'm not sure which CPU governor would be best for me. Guess I'll just pick one.

After I install it, will I still need to change the sysctl settings mentioned above, or is that included in the zip?

Will the zip conflict with my QuickClock app/settings?

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Interactive is the new governor which is much faster than ondemand which is the one that comes stock. You will not need to change the sysctl settings, and it will not conflict at all with quickclock.

cantstopthesignal

Reaction score
Interactive is the new governor which is much faster than ondemand which is the one that comes stock. You will not need to change the sysctl settings, and it will not conflict at all with quickclock.

Great!
Thank you so much for your help and patience! I just downloaded and installed the new interactive zip. Looking forward to improved performance and better battery life :)

Thanks to Jboxen and imoseyon!!!