[Tutorial]Sysctl and you, A guide to better preformance and battery life.

imoseyon

Reaction score
Dang is dropbox throttling me?

sent from my dx running rubix or liberty

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've got a couple of suggestions, and Jrummy has some questions for you as far as all of this for his next release, can you PM it to me?

searayman

Reaction score
[UPDATED 2.8]

IMPORTANT: "after a day or two your device may start getting sluggish because the amount of RAM available to the applications continue to shrink to the point where they are starved for memory."

There's two solutions to this really, and they are very easy.

1. Reboot your phone when you wake up and take it off the charger in the morning.(easy)
2. Run this script in terminal emulator when you wake up in the morning:

sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

"Tells the system to drop all file system caches"

Now do we have t do this if we configure via the script? I thought the script does this automatically at 1am every morning? Am I wrong ?

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
No you don't, I should put that in the OP, thanks.

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Nope if you installed the .zip file you don't even have to do that.

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

my bad I misunderstood you. So with the script I can just use my hone like normal and not change my usage patterns

That is correct, the new busybox 1.80.0, has cron(a new feature in busybox) which is a schedualer that will flush the caches automatically for you each day at 1AM PST.

jaynyc22

Reaction score
I've been having problems with the zip. I have set LCD density to 200 and when I reboot one time it loads in 200. Next reboot I'm asumming its reading 99imoseyon first and the LCD density is set to default. Please help.

swagmonster

Reaction score
Even if my phone is off? Or will it dump when I turn it on?

my bad I misunderstood you. So with the script I can just use my hone like normal and not change my usage patterns

That is correct, the new busybox 1.80.0, has cron(a new feature in busybox) which is a schedualer that will flush the caches automatically for you each day at 1AM PST.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've been having problems with the zip. I have set LCD density to 200 and when I reboot one time it loads in 200. Next reboot I'm asumming its reading 99imoseyon first and the LCD density is set to default. Please help.

You should be able to change it in the build.prop manually. 99imoseyon doesn't change the lcd denstity every reboot, just initially on the install.

phoenixus

Reaction score
If I use the zip file in the op and install it on my phone, do I still need to go into liberty settings and enable systcl and make those changes? Or does the zip file take card of all that?

OP
Jboxen

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Even if my phone is off? Or will it dump when I turn it on?

If you reboot your phone then your vm caches will be reset from the reboot anyways.