Tutorial-How to restore Email/Corpcal/Launcher from SPRecovery BKUP after UD9 Install

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by Funkybrunk, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Funkybrunk

Funkybrunk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a couple posts from people who are a little miffed about Email / CorpCal and Launchers being removed from the default setup in the update.zip for UD9.

Please note this is only for users with SPRecovery. I haven't made the plunge into Clockworkmod or Rom Manager, so I am unfamiliar with pulling data from Clockwork nandroid backups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ClockworkMod IMG extraction instructions by Koush
    From http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/30143-ok-im-done-clockwork-recovery-4.html#post337815 - Post 38

You can definitely edit .img files, but you generally shouldn't. Nandroids are just meant to be used as backups, not as a way to package ROMs. That's what update.zips are for.

The file system format of Android devices is yaffs2 . The .img files are yaffs2 image files are created with mkyaffs2image (which is a byproduct of an Android build). The .img files can be extracted using unyaffs.

I will post OSX versions of these tools at the bottom of this post. My ROMs also come with device versions of these tools! I think the Windows versions might be a bit harder to build/install. But in the meantime, here's how to generally edit a .img:

<edited by Funkybrunk - not tested (I'm running SPRecovery)>
    Someone with ClockworkMod please test!

Open Terminal Emulator

su
    mkdir sdcard/IMGEXTRACT/system
    cd sdcard/IMGEXTRACT/system
    unyaffs Clockworkmod/<backupname>/system.img

Mount the SDCard on a computer
    browse to the IMGEXTRACT/Sytem folder

Copy Email.apk, CorpCal.apk, Launcher.apk, Launcher2.apk or any APKs for missing programs you would like to restore to the root of your sdcard.

Eject and unmount your SDcard from the computer.

Open Terminal Emulator and type the following commands (Email.APK used for ex):

su
    sysrw
    busybox cp \sdcard\email.apk \system\app
    sync
    reboot

Email will be restored at reboot. You can perfrom multiple busybox copies in one Terminal session to apply all APKs before sync and reboot. Just use the same commands above and substitute the appropriate APK name for Email.apk
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPRecovery Instructions:

Mount your SDCard to your computer. Go to your final backup before installing UD9 and copy the system.tar to your computer.

Extract the contents of the TAR file using WINRAR or whichever archiving program you prefer.

In your extracted folders, browse to system/app. Copy Email.apk, CorpCal.apk, Launcher.apk, Launcher2.apk or any APKs for missing programs you would like to restore to the root of your sdcard.

Eject and unmount your SDcard from the computer.

Open Terminal Emulator and type the following commands (Email.APK used for ex):

su
    sysrw
    busybox cp \sdcard\email.apk \system\app
    sync
    reboot

Email will be restored at reboot. You can perfrom multiple busybox copies in one Terminal session to apply all APKs before sync and reboot. Just use the same commands above and substitute the appropriate APK name for Email.apk

#1 Funkybrunk, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. neoj2

neoj2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thats great but......what about the people that already upgraded to UD9?

3. Funkybrunk

Funkybrunk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You didn't backup first? Shame on you.:)

4. neoj2

neoj2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a backup, actually two of them 3/30 and 3/31. but the file is system.img? maybe its on another file or i didn't back up correctly.

5. Funkybrunk

Funkybrunk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh. You are using ClockworkMod. My instructions are for SPRecovery (the standard prior to Rom Manager). I saw a thread floating around about how to pull files from IMG backups, but if I remember right, its a pain in the balls. I'll see if I can find the post and update the OP.

6. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Why are you going through all those steps? If you simply download the zip file needed from BD's repository (at the end of post #1 in the ROM thread), you can rename it to update.zip and then do a standard "update.zip" install through sprecovery/ROM Manager/etc.

Granted you have to do that for each app, but still a whole lot simpler than what you are describing.

7. Funkybrunk

Funkybrunk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To each their own. For me this was simpler, and it saved me the trouble of re-theming the icon for the Email program. The link to the individual zips as you suggested is the following for those interested.

Index of /droid/options/extraprograms

Search tags for this page

launcher for android .img files