1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[TUT] Wipe it right! Battery stats tut

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sonicfreak360, May 24, 2011.

1. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Battery issues have been a big concern with most android phone owners who like to flash new roms. Sometimes, they find out that their battery seems to have dropped very quickly, sometimes even skipping percentages. A common example is leaving your phone at 50%, then coming back to it 10 minutes later to find it at 20%!

This tutorial will teach you NOT ONLY how to wipe battery stats, but make sure battery issues do not occur after flashing new ROMS. Lets hit up some facts really quick.

True or False - Wiping battery stats is a long and tedious process.
    True and false! There are two methods. The standard wipe and wait, or a new method found by Zeppelinrox. I have not tested his method yet, but you can feel free to try.

So lets start the tutorial!
    1. CHARGE YOUR PHONE TO 100 PERCENT, THIS IS CRUCIAL!
    2. Wipe your battery stats :p (go to the next step)
    3. To wipe your battery stats, boot into clockword recovery OR Raidzero recovery. Either one can wipe battery stats.
    4. Reboot into recovery either by the shutdown menu (if your rom supports it) or by holding down the x (on your physical keyboard) and the power button until you see the recovery.
    5. If you have Raidzero recovery, go to step 6. If you have Clockwork recovery, go to step 9.
    6. RZ PROCEDURE: go to "wipe options"
      select "wipe battery stats"
    7. Go to step 10
    8. CLOCKWORK PROCEDURE: Go to "advanced"
    9. Select "wipe battery stats"
    10. reboot your phone. As soon as the screen goes black after you select "reboot", unplug your phone from the wall!
    Ok, your battery stats have been wiped. However, the procedure isn't over yet. So have your battery stats "calibrated" correctly, you need to use it normally untill it is at 5%, then plug it in to charge WITHOUT USING IT! The guidlines to follow until the battery reaches 5% are :

• Do not reboot your phone
    • Do not shut off your phone
    • Do not attempt to drain your battery to get the procedure over with
    Now that your battery is at 5%, or you just want to know the whole tutorial before wiping your battery stats, its time to charge the phone. The guidelines for the final step is this:

• DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE AT ALL UNTILL IT IS FULLY CHARGED!
    I am fairly positive that this is the biggest step that users mess up on, and then they believe its the rom's fault for battery percent skips!

If you want to know whether your phone is fully charged or not, just look to see if a light is on where your phone is plugged into. If it is on, it is still charging.

Next, I am going to cover the biggest problem users make when installing a new rom. Its quite simple to explain actually. THEY REBOOT THEIR PHONE!

When you wipe your phone, the battery stats get wiped as well! It is just like wiping battery stats! To avoid all battery issues, follow this easy tutorial!

1. Use your phone until it is at 5%
    2. Plug in your phone to charge and DON'T USE IT!
    And thats really all! But you have to do the full procedure every time you wipe data/cache!!!

On a side note, I don't like the way this tutorial looks... I may revise it on my own time later...
  2. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. Seems to have fixed my battery issues.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Thanks for posting this. Quick question. I use the app battery calibration. It wipes the stat file and it suggests the same to charge to 100,run the app, use to 5%, charge to 100. This is the same thing right and it saves you from having to go into clockwork. Am I wrong?

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz
  4. DroidBurgundy

DroidBurgundy New Member

nice tutorial for wiping batt stats, I have never bothered doing this as I use 3 batterys in rotation, and a seperate external AC charger, so I am never charging from my phone. However recently I have noticed that my percentage readings have been random and quite buggy, will go from 80% down to 50% in a matter of minutes, I will shut the phone off, pull the batt, turn it back on with the same batt again and it reads %70,

QUESTION: I never shutdown the phone to swap batteries @ 5% I let it go until the phone shuts itself off then I swap, is this hurting my overall batt performance? I've always thought it was best to fully drain and charge my batteries in any portable device.
  5. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

...Or you can just delete data/system/batterystats.bin with a file explorer.
  6. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Deep discharge of the battery is not recommended.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz
  7. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

I'm not sure when the file is re made... But if you don't have any battery percent skips, you may be fine.
  8. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

But not everyone has a file manager with root, or knows how to mount the data file as root. Though, if it is in the data file, I'm wondering if it can be deleted with ADB? probably not...
  9. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

It does hurt your battery, though I can't say how much. Luckily, batteries are cheap... or at least android batteries are!
  10. zeppelinrox

zeppelinrox Premium Member Premium Member Developer

On milestone, batterystats.bin gets created on the M logo if it is missing.

If I'm in android and have it plugged in and delete batterystats.bin, it will get created if I unplug it.

In the Open Recover I have there is a console so I can go there and just type
    rm data/system/batterystats.bin

Some may know that I came up with the no battery boot method where you leave the battery out until you see the lock screen and then pop it in.

Anyway, milestone will also let me into recovery with no battery as well lol
  11. speedfreeq

speedfreeq New Member

I've used this method for recalibrating my battery stats a number of times, but then I tried zeppelinrox' method... and it made a HUGE difference. Even with wiping stats, my battery was never getting fully charged.

12. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Well, anyone who actually read this knows, I mentioned you :D
  13. zeppelinrox

Oh yeah.. brain fart.. half asleep lol
    Nice.
    I'm still a bit surprised that droids can boot without the battery too :)
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  14. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Oh, quick question. Since you seem to know when the batterystats.bin file is created, I'll ask you. If a phone hot reboots due to a rom glitch, would that mess up the battery stats?

Basicly, my phone did a hot reboot to the animation, but it didn't go to the boot logo. (the M, except mine is a honeycomb bee :p)
  15. zeppelinrox

Im not too sure about that one but I doubt it

Sent from my Milestone Powered by my V6 SuperCharger
  16. roothorick

roothorick New Member

You should clarify this a bit. Do you mean, phone turned off? Phone on but in airplane mode? Normal with the radios on, but ignore calls?
  17. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

I would suggest that you leave 3g off, but don't go to airplane mode.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  18. jmorrison230

jmorrison230 New Member

*]Do not reboot your phone
    [*]Do not shut off your phone
    I don't get what you mean by don't turn off your phone. You mean shut it off completely or don't put it in sleep mode?
  19. HorsePony

HorsePony Member

Thanks for this tutorial.
    I did it the long way, through Rom Manager.

Charged it all the way to 100%, charging light off, here at work. Wiped batt stats and unplugged it when it was time to go home at 5:40pm and used it as normal.

Got the battery down to 5% at home watching the Bulls/Heat game and plugged it back in to charge midway through the game. By 11pm it was fully charged to 100%, no charge light on it. This, by your tutorial, should have done it.

And I think it did.

For the first time ever, I left my OG Droid unplugged all night (I always charge overnight), and woke up at 8am with an 80% battery charge. Using my phone as normal, I'm currently still at 15% batt life on my phone without sticking it into the charger here at work at 11am. That's about 12 hours+ of batt life on a single charge...and I was not getting that prior to yesterday. I've had my OG Droid for about 2 years now and usually would get about 7-8 hours on one charge with moderate use. So far, I can see a visible difference.

So thank you.
  20. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

No, thank you, for thanking me for making the tutorial. Many people disregard important things to do concerning their battery and performance, and I see people whining about battery life. I'm glad you read this, and I'm glad it helped you. For that, I say thank you!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page

batterystats.bin

batterystats.bin location

delete battery stats

delete batterystats.bin without root

how to delete battery stats android
how to delete batterystats.bin

how to delete batterystats.bin without root

how to reset battery stats android
how to reset battery stats in s3
how to reset battery stats on galaxy s3