Turning on wifi only when you get home?

patmc81

Reaction score
Is there an app that allows the wifi to only be turned on when you get home by using the gps?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish smart action would use gps. I was surprised that for location based actions you have to use wifi...

----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
P

patmc81

Reaction score
Smart actions uses wifi for location. I wish it used gps. Since the wifi scanning seems to use power.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you get home roughly the same time every day, you could set up a time base to turn wifi on/off with it.

I had tasker back on the d1, basically it can do ANYTHING. Its on the market now, but takes some figuring out.
Pretty much a "pre- smart action" task tool.

OP
P

patmc81

Reaction score
Didn't think of that! Thanks.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
If you get home roughly the same time every day, you could set up a time base to turn wifi on/off with it.

I had tasker back on the d1, basically it can do ANYTHING. Its on the market now, but takes some figuring out.
Pretty much a "pre- smart action" task tool.

That's what I do, I'm not supposed to use WiFi at work so using it for location always a question mark up in the notification bar.
So far it's the only weakness in Smart Actions.

nbucko

Reaction score
You can also use llama which uses cell tower id's. I use it to turn wifi on and off when I get home or my parents house.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

50%Kraut

Reaction score
My 2 cents: I just added a "Toggle Wifi" widget. Now when I get home, turn on the Maxx it is just a quick swipe and a press. Wifi on.

:hail:Hooked on Droid

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Personally, with the kind of battery you have in the maxx, do you really need to worry about that? I used to on this phone, but with the extended battery, I've found that the benefit from toggling on and off isn't that much.

Then again, I have wifi at work too, so most of the time off wifi is driving between work and home.

Anyway, if it is that important to you, I second llama, as it can perform actions based on cell towers. Personally, though, I removed it as I didn't find any real battery savings from having it running.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

patchm00

Reaction score
WIFI on/off with GPS

I use Tasker, bought it when it was having a special couple years ago so not sure how much it costs now but man, is it powerful. I have just a few tasks set
1. Turn on wifi for my home when im within 400 meters of my house
2. Turn on wifi at work when I'm within 400 meters
3. Turn on BlueTooth at specific time each day (on the way home)
4. pop up sms message when I miss a call telling me who called

This thing can do anything and I underuse it by about 99.9% but it does what I needed at the time. Worked with my OG Droid/Droid 2, Droid INC and now with my RAZR MAXX

Tasker for Android