Turning on Motorola S305 stereo headset causes Droid to restart.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I searched different words and couldn't find anything about this, so I hope it has not already been discussed.

If I turn on bluetooth on my Droid and then turn on my Motorola S305 stereo bluetooth headset, the Droid will restart at least 90% of the time. When it restarts, it will not connect to the S305 most of the time and I have to turn off the S305 and turn it on again. Then everything works flawlessly. If I turn on the S305 first then it will connect fine when I turn on bluetooth on the Droid, but not always. Sometimes it will not connect and I have to turn the S305 off and on.

I also have a Motorola H715 mono headset and it works flawlessly every time. I can turn it off and on any time and it will always connect perfectly.

Has anyone had this experience with restarts. My Droid has never restarted except when I turn on the S305, so it does not seem to be the common restart problem that others have had and has been discussed.

Jackattack

Reaction score
I had this happen myself yesterday on the elliptical at the gym, same headset (I like it so far) as you.

The difference is I have been connecting to the phone no problem for the last week and a half without any problems.

This time is the only time it has happened and it occurred when I was listening to music with the standard music player and I received a call. I tried to decline the call on the headset (button) and then I lost everything. Looked at phone and it appeared frozen but then restarted on its own.

I than re-connected the headset and restarted the music player and had no additional problems.

This is the first time it has happened, I just uninstalled all new apps that I had installed the past couple days and I will test again tonight.

Please note I have never had the phone restart on me before.

I know this does not answer your question but I felt it might help spark some additional interest in the discussion. I was wandering if it could be a Bluetooth malfunction with the phone. ???

OP
TheOldFart

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I just tried it with my old Jabra BT8010 stereo bluetooth headset. I connected it twice and it worked both times to connect to the Droid and play music. I then tried it once with the S305 and it also connected fine. The only thing that might be different is that I didn't try to connect the BT8010 to the Droid until a minute or 2 after I turned on bluetooth on the Droid. Normally I turn on bluetooth on the Droid and then immediately turn on the headset. Perhaps it takes time for bluetooth to be active after the green bluetooth light shows on the widget. I will try waiting in the future for a minute or 2 and see if I continue to have problems.

brainchild

Reaction score
I am starting to feel like the Droid is out to get me! I am unable to use traditional headphones because when I unplug them the audio on the phone stops!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-sound-after-headphone-use-13.html#post184304

I thought OK I will I will get a bluetooth headset instead and am now faced with the phone rebooting when I turn them on. I am told that the 2.1 update should fix these nagging issues however there is no date. I am very disapointed with both google and Motorola for allowing these issues to continue and giving anyone a time frame on when they will be resolved.

Jackattack

Reaction score
Is it the S305 headset causing the re-boot ?

I have never had this happen with my set and I use it daily....

Very odd, I hope mine does not start the symptoms.

brainchild

Reaction score
Yes it is the S305 headset and it happens when I turn blutooth on from the phone and then turn the headphones on. If I turn the headphones on first then power on the bluetooth the phone does not reboot.

marnues

Reaction score
Just updated my Droid hoping this would be fixed. Doesn't seem to have happened. Not sure what exactly causes this, but it is somewhat intermittent. The one way I know I can get my Droid to restart is to connect to my computer via usb, disconnect and then connect the s305. The Droid freezes for a while then restarts everytime. Getting very annoying. I'll attempt the work-around by turning bluetooth off before turning the s305 on, but that does not make me happy. This phone is better in everyway than my old Blackberry except for this constant annoyance.

J

jageryager

I am having this exact problem.

My wife and I both have S305 headsets ~ 6 months old, and we both have new Droids, ~2 weeks old. These headsets have generally worked well with our old phones, heres was a LG vx8350, and mine was a casio.

My problem seems to be a little more intermittent. I'd say about 30% of the time turning on my S305 causes the phone to reboot. Also note that I associated my headset with my wife's Droid and cause her's to reboot, and I also associated her headset with my phone and caused my phone to reboot that way.

I've also noticed that sometimes the headset work work well, over may calls, and over a length of time, but often phone will fail to route my call through the headset even though the Droid shows that there is a Bluetooth headset connected. Usually if the phone doesn't reboot, when the headset connects, at least the first call will be routed through the headset.

It seems that connecting to my old Jabra, non-stereo headset first, and then turning that headset off and turning my S305 on seemed to leave the phone in a state where the S305 would work reliably for a while. But it's hard to say with intermittent problems like this.

I thought maybe the problem had to do with if the phone was left idle and went to screen lock, but I haven't been able to reliably characterize "screen locking" as causing the problem.

Also note that even when the phone won't route my call through the connected headset it will route stereo music from the music player.

I'm thinking this is some kind of memory problem with the bluetooth stack in the Droid that comes out when connecting to these S305s..

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Verizon last night. They didn't seem to know of any particular problems with this model headset.

If you are having problems you need to call them so they know, so they can fix it.

ElyEsq

Reaction score
Having Same Issue

At least once a day, when I try to connect my Motorola S305's to my Droid, the whole phone freezes and then restarts. It just happened twice in a row for me. Sure wish I knew why!

I also get frequent "acore" errors that cause all the shortcuts, widgets, etc. to disappear from the home screens. Sometimes it's temporary; sometimes it is permanent and I have to restart the phone.

I LOVE my Droid but wish I could resolve these two issues!

Ely

J

jageryager

Regarding S305 causing reboot, Verizon was helpful!

I called Verizon back to let them know that my Motorola S305 headset is causing my Motorola Droid phone to reboot.

After I explained my problem to them they comforted me by letting me know that there are a large number of other bluetooth headsets on the market, and it's possible that my Droid will work better with a new headset than it works with my old one.

Problem resolved!! Just keep buying new headsets till I get one that the Droid has good software for... No problem.. :-|

ElyEsq

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Jageryager! But, I just bought the phone and the headphones a few weeks ago! My reasoning was that a Motorola phone + Motorola headset = pure and utter bliss. It's pretty funny that Verizon is telling you to buy a new headset! It's also funny that I didn't have this problem until the sent out the OTA update to 2.1! (And by "funny" I mean "not so funny").

GRRRRR!!! In trying to double check to make sure I really have S305's, I accidentally shut off the bluetooth. Upon turning it back on and trying reestablish the connection . . . you guessed it, my darn phone crashed and is currently restarting. Joy.

Thanks again for the feedback.

J

jageryager

Bought your incompatible S305 from verizon??

Hey ElyEsq if you bought your S305 from Verizon I'd say you have a major good case for getting them to give you a refund for the headset.. That would over the top rude if they wouldn't at least stand behind the equipment they sold you..

Jimann

Reaction score
I'd like to add myself to the list of people whose Droid restarts when turning on my S305 headset. I also have the same exact problem with my Motorola T505 (sun visor FM transmitter). It seems to have started after installing an application called Trapster. The problem occurs less frequently with this application removed. I'm not sure how a GPS application could be causing the issue. I will call Verizon and make sure the issue is noted in their system.

beardgod

Reaction score
Me, three!

Have been using the S305's for about 3 months now and really never had this issue until the last couple of weeks. It has gotten progressively worse, to the point that it re-booted about 7 times today. If it didn't take what seems like an eternity to re-boot I would probably not care so much. It is also substantially problematic as it typically occurs right as I am trying to get on a conference call. Too lazy to reconstruct the apps I have added recently to diagnose the issue, but fear it may be related to Astrid or K-9, two recent additions that are so useful that, even if they were the genesis of the shutdown issue, I wouldn't remove them. Of course, I have been futzing around the last 10 minutes streaming Slacker and trying to get the damn thing to lock-up and I can't do it. I feel like I am at my mechanic's shop trying to explain a recurring problem that has decided to heal itself! Of course, maybe having an active audio stream is the solution? Probably not, as I have attempted to switch to the headphones mid-call and locked up. I have not been able to find any rhyme or reason to the occurrence of the shutdown, but will try to pay attention to the sequence of power-up steps and re-post if I can reduce or eliminate the issue. As it stands, I tend to agree with the other posters that a delay between turning on the phone's Bluetooth and turning on the S305's seems to reduce the issue.