turning off my phone

motaumar

Reaction score
So i was just wondering that if i have my phone on for a couple of days without restarting it or turning it off is that bad? Should i turn it off for a night? Or restart it once?

jaelmy

Reaction score
Everything I have ever read says you should turn your phone off once a day for about 30 seconds.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So i was just wondering that if i have my phone on for a couple of days without restarting it or turning it off is that bad? Should i turn it off for a night? Or restart it once?
The Motorola Razr manual recommends powering off your phone every couple of days.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Powering your phone off is a great thing to do. It gives it a chance to put things back where they belong so to speak.

If you want to test the theory. Remember battery pulls???? That's why they're so effective.

Also you should consider charging your phone while off. It made a huge difference in my maxx's. Both last longer when charged overnight while powered off.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Trash Can

Reaction score

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Always remember these things are handheld computers that can make phone calls. Try going a week without rebooting a Windows machine and see how happy it is :)

I power my phone down every night and charge it powered off, doing so appeases the battery gods (FoxKat) and keeps everyone happy.

Last edited:

Hail

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
Powering your phone off is a great thing to do. It gives it a chance to put things back where they belong so to speak.

If you want to test the theory. Remember battery pulls???? That's why they're so effective.

Also you should consider charging your phone while off. It made a huge difference in my maxx's. Both last longer when charged overnight while powered off.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

You power off every night for a charge?

Straight off my hip from the Maxx

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

Yeap...me too. Powering off the phone does several things: 1) insures a clean install of system apps/functions when powered back on (boot) 2) battery charges faster and (I believe) stronger and 3) clears several cache's that can only be cleared by an interruption of power for greater than a few seconds.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hail said:

Yes sir I do.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's not the same as powering your phone off once a day or so for 30 seconds or more.
Uhhhhh, yes it is from an OS perspective.
From Motorola ->
"Your phone has capabilities that make it almost as powerful as a computer, so like a computer, for optimal performance, give it a fresh start by rebooting it once a day. Turn it off for one minute, then restart it. Rebooting refreshes your phone software and your connection to the nearest cell tower. It can also help extend your battery life."

It's Linux under the Android interface.
Rebooting a Linux box is equivalent to Powering it off, then on.
On a Linux machine "shutdown -r" causes the machine to shutdown, then boot normally.

Been doing Unix,Linux, Windows and Mac's for more than 20 years.
Waiting a minute removes you from the network and causes the phone to reinitialize with the network.
That is a network issue. Toggling Airplane Mode for a minute will do that.

So if stability with the OS is the goal, a simple reboot is all that is required.
If you are worried about network, leave it off for a minute.
If you want to force reinitialization with the network, go to Airplane more for a minute then switch back to normal.

Last edited:

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Sydman said:
Always remember these things are handheld computers that can make phone calls. Try going a week without rebooting a Windows machine and see how happy it is :)

I power my phone down every night and charge it powered off, doing so appeases the battery gods (FoxKat) and keeps everyone happy.

What are you still running Win 95 or some other out of date OS? Aside from shutting down for hardware changes, I pretty much only reboot my PCs when a install/update/reconfigure requires it. Other than being in S3(S4 if battery gets low) HTPC & laptop are running, server & it's VMs are on 24/7.

Doing a full power down does ensure RAM is fully wiped but this shouldn't be necessary for most modern OS's.