Turning off Data Droid X

DroidXhopeful

Reaction score
Ok so I just bought a Droid X off contract. I am going to put it on Page Plus Wireless. I only use ~100 mins a month (no txts) and I am on Wi-Fi 75% of the time (Home, School, Work) the other 25% of the time I couldn't really use my phone anyway (commuting, etc). Can anyone please explain how to shut off all data but still keep Wi-Fi on (Page Plus charges $1.20 per Mb, which IMHO is extortion). From my Google-Fu skills it seems if I have 2.2 it is easy as hell to turn off Data but keep Wi-Fi on (from what I gather 2.2 adds the ability to do this via an option). However with the Official 2.2 release just around the corner I don't wanna root my phone and void the warranty (my off contract phone still has a Motorola warranty as I understand it). Would Motorola be able to tell if I rooted my phone put 2.2 on than when the Official 2.2 came out I did a factory reset (presumably unrooting it and setting the phone back to factory new settings). A step by step would be a lifesaver. This is my first Smartphone and first new phone in 5 years (been using the same Motorola Razr since 2005) so please be gentle.

Just to clear something up I bought my phone on Ebay the previous owner bought got it from Verizon used it for a day than decided to go back to their old Blackberry (ESN is clean I checked). The phone still has the Motorola warranty right? It was shipped with the original box all the original paperwork, cables and everything. The original owner was nice enough to include all the receipts from Verizon. If for some reason the phone lets say has a hardware failure would I be able to either take it into a Verizon store and see about replacing it or would I have to ship it to Motorola for them to fix it. Thanks.

ih8iphones

Reaction score
No sorry warranty is for the original owner its stated in Verizon policy. u can't even insure it because the fact u didn't buy it from the store.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ih8iphones

Reaction score
U can't flash to page plus anyway ,I would of done it on my Droid already if I could.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Also doing a factory restore does not get rid of your root. You have to flash with SBF, and do you know what setting you are talking about on 2.2 that can turn off data. You can put it in airplane mode to turn off data and voice and just use wifi, but you can do that one 2.1 as well.

OP
D

DroidXhopeful

Reaction score
No sorry warranty is for the original owner its stated in Verizon policy. u can't even insure it because the fact u didn't buy it from the store.

That's Verizon's policy what about Motorola's policy?

U can't flash to page plus anyway ,I would of done it on my Droid already if I could.

Your just plain wrong about that because I am currently waiting for my number to be ported to Page Plus on my Droid X, and there are plenty of Droid X Page Plus users around that can attest to Droid's and Droid X's on Page Plus. Just so you know Page Plus uses Verizon's network (VERIZON PHONES DO NOT HAVE TO BE FLASHED TO PAGE PLUS, THEY USE THE SAME NETWORK) and PHONES they are just a reseller of the network. Just like Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile just resell Sprint's network.

Also doing a factory restore does not get rid of your root. You have to flash with SBF, and do you know what setting you are talking about on 2.2 that can turn off data. You can put it in airplane mode to turn off data and voice and just use wifi, but you can do that one 2.1 as well.

I do not know exactly which setting it is but from what I have read through Google searches it seems 2.2 has a data kill switch that shuts 100% of your data connection off while 2.1 does not. If you flash the phone with SBF would anyone be able to tell the phone was rooted? I have read that GTWidget Data might turn off 100% of data on a Droid X but I am not sure, and do not really want to test it ($1.20 a Mb is an awful lot just to test if it works).

Last edited:

ih8iphones

Reaction score
Well so your saying I can use an old page plus phone with Verizon if it was that easy, I know all about page plus I use their prepaid service for my personal bussiness. And for motorola policy it might be the same , I know how to put my phones back to where they were in the beginning. So rooting doesn't effect me if my phone breaks. Oh and porting a phone number is easier than flashing a phone to page plus and u know that they use a different phone cards than Verizon prepaid right.

OP
D

DroidXhopeful

Reaction score
Well so your saying I can use an old page plus phone with Verizon if it was that easy, I know all about page plus I use their prepaid service for my personal bussiness. And for motorola policy it might be the same , I know how to put my phones back to where they were in the beginning. So rooting doesn't effect me if my phone breaks. Oh and porting a phone number is easier than flashing a phone to page plus and u know that they use a different phone cards than Verizon prepaid right.

No what I am saying is that Verizon Phones (apart from a small list of blacklisted ones such as the INpulse series and Blackberry's) are able to be used on Page Plus no problem. All you have to do is pop in the ESN (on the activation website) and bam you got a Page Plus number. I have no idea why anyone would want to use a Page Plus phone on Verizon and have no clue what would happen if you tried. I do know for 100% sure that Verizon phones can go to Page Plus with no problems (the only reason my Droid X isn't activated yet is because my old carrier has to release my old number). Lastly I don't think you have a clue about how Page Plus just resells Verizon Network seeing as how you are bringing up the fact that they use different prepaid phone cards.

Just found Motorola's warranty. Technically the warranty stays with the original purchaser and any repair work would have to be sent in to Motorola from them and returned to them; however the loop hole is Motorola considers the first person to register the product the first purchaser. So as long as the person you buy the phone from didn't register it your good to go.

Last edited:
OP
D

DroidXhopeful

Reaction score
MOD EDIT: removed the rude comment.

#1 I'm poor because I am spending $30k a year on college tuition (something you clearly did not do).
#2 Why the **** would I want to spend $70+ a month for services I don't use. My campus has 100% Wi-Fi coverage, my work has Wi-Fi, my Home has Wi-Fi. I don't talk 450 mins a month to warrant such an expensive plan.
#3 I think you really should read more, I clearly acknowledged that Verizon Prepaid and Page Plus use two different payment systems; however that means absolutely diddly squat. They use the same network, Page Plus just resells Verizon's network it is not that hard a concept to understand.
#4 I got the phone on eBay for $375, I was going to buy a 32 GB iPod Touch 4g but when I saw the Droid X on eBay for that cheap I jumped on it (paid $75 more but I got a smartphone, good deal to me).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Have been reading high and low on Verizon's website and I can't see where they say the warranty on equipment will not transfer. It has obviously been within a year and if the ESN says it was bought through them surely they will still honor it. Also with Motorola same thing it is within a year and they should def honor it.

mwm523

Reaction score
For the OP, I use the SwitchPro widget (downloadable from the market) to shut off the 3G data connection when I want to. It works perfectly. It still allows phone calls and texts, and you can connect to wifi for data. I mainly use this when I'm at work where the 3G signal is very low. If I leave data turned on on my phone, it tends to search for 3G signal, and switch between 3G and 1X all day, which kills the battery. Turning 3G off with SwitchPro fixes that problem.

michelle4439

Reaction score
+1 for using a verizon phone on Page Plus. My sister does it all the time. I have verizon and I switch phones ALOT. I always give her my phones when I buy a new one. She has Page Plus and she sets the esn to her Page Plus phone number. She is using my Droid 1 on her Page Plus account now because I bought me a new Droid X.