Turning off apps

tc_rain

Reaction score
I have a Droid X with several apps that run all of the time. I have the task killer installed but the apps turn on as soon as my phone is used. Is there a way to turn the apps off completely and then turn them back on at a later time? The reason why I am looking for this answer is we will be in another country and I would like the ability to use the phone if needed without paying the expensive data charges since I will be roaming.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
1) Get rid of the task killer...its not needed and is liable to cause more issues than curing of them. Click and read the link in my signature below...very informative about task killers and why they arent needed in Android.

2) What apps are you concerned with running or roaming?

3) Out of country you should really only be worried with Data usage...and a phone call to Verizon can clear a lot of that up ahead of time.

OP
T

tc_rain

Reaction score
Thanks BodyBagz, I took your advise and went to Verizon (instead of calling) and explained the problem. One young kid there was a little bewildered but started scrolling through the settings menu on my phone. settings - wireless & networks - mobile networks - system select - and then highlighted "home only". He said this "should" take care of it. Does anyone know if this is correct? He didn't display a large amount of confidence.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Thanks BodyBagz, I took your advise and went to Verizon (instead of calling) and explained the problem. One young kid there was a little bewildered but started scrolling through the settings menu on my phone. settings - wireless & networks - mobile networks - system select - and then highlighted "home only". He said this "should" take care of it. Does anyone know if this is correct? He didn't display a large amount of confidence.

The kid was an idiot..Verizon has no Roaming charges int he US.

OP
T

tc_rain

Reaction score

The reason why I want to turn off the apps is I will be in another country and I don't want to rack up data charges.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The reason why I want to turn off the apps is I will be in another country and I don't want to rack up data charges.

Your X wont use data unless you're going to Mexico. Most of the world uses GMS, your X uses CDMA. The only time you will use data is when you turn on wifi and that won't cost you a dime.