Turn On Nexus 6P Battery Percentage With "System UI Tuner"

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google has added a new secret feature "System UI Tuner" which allows you to make a small handful of changes to your UI. This feature is really in its infancy, and Google warns that it is beta and can cause things to bug out, but I am hoping that Google decides to do more with this in the future. For now it allows you to turn on the battery percentage in the notification bar, add and remove toggles in the quick settings, add or remove icons in the notification bar,and turn on demo mode.

To enable the System UI Tuner pull down the notification panel. In the top right hand corner you will see the settings gear. Press and hold the settings gear. It will begin to spin and then it will pop up a notification telling you that you have turned on System UI Tuner. You can find it in your settings at the very bottom of the menu.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Enabled but its so tiny.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I did it at first, because my Note 4 had the option to display it NEXT to the battery meter, but like @Mustang02 said, it's pretty tiny. With Doze, I find myself not nearly as concerned about exact percentage of battery anyway. Also, it's just a single swipe down on the lockscreen to get the quick toggle screen that has the battery percentage next to the meter, which, to me, looks better and is easier to read. (or a two-finger swipe when unlocked...or a second swipe down from the notification shade)

I'm still glad they included the ability to activate the UI tuner and play with it a bit though.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Agree with the other comments here. Even with my new glasses I still couldn't read that number if I wanted to, but in my case I have GSam running anyway (to keep an eye on battery usage) and it already includes a notification percentage icon I can read!

Not to be too contrarian, but the whole "UI Tuner" implementation is a bit underwhelming. Most of these options have been around for a while in 3rd party launchers or manufacturer overlays. For example, IIRC both Kitkat and Lollipop on my stock HTC One M7 had much more complete implementations for modifying Quick Settings. Not sure why Google is playing with a hobbled version of things. Looking forward to seeing a more polished version!

-Matt

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Looking forward to seeing a more polished version!
And that's why I like that the UI tuner and those things exist. It's a start in the right direction, IMO. While I liked having more options for quick toggles on my Note 4, I also hated that they constantly took up space in my notification bar. I like the stock android double swipe/2 finger swipe much better. They're handy, but out of my way.

These are the kinds of trade-offs we make switching between manufacturers and skinned vs. non-skinned android.

I agree with you that it needs more to it, but this is the first real inclusion of it. I'm sure it'll gain functionality. Or disappear to make way for something better...

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Even better when you throw a Pure Nexus ROM and you have options

6s plus Tapatalk

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not only is very difficult to read, but when the level drops so the percentage is above the filled area, you can't read it at all. I turned it back off, much easier to do the 2 finger swipe to check it than go searching for a microscope. Besides, does it really affect the way you use it if you're at 67% vs 78%?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not only is very difficult to read, but when the level drops so the percentage is above the filled area, you can't read it at all. I turned it back off, much easier to do the 2 finger swipe to check it than go searching for a microscope. Besides, does it really affect the way you use it if you're at 67% vs 78%?
That's how I feel. As long as I'm above around 50%, which is easy enough to tell by the gauge, I don't worry. Also kinda depends on the time of day and what I've got going on for the rest of the day, but even then, exact percentages don't matter that much to me, even though I had the percentage shown on my Note 4.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Nexus, Shmexus.
uploadfromtaptalk1451917510271.jpg

TapaTurboII