Turn off Multimedia and Car mode?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Heero, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Heero

Heero New Member

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the Multimedia and Car mode? I am currently using my Blackberry holster for the Droid because I like the case, but since it has magnets inside the holster, it keeps setting my Droid into Multimedia mode. Does anyone know how to turn this off? Thanks.
  2. PowerPlayGraphix

PowerPlayGraphix New Member

Get a new holster. Get one with velcro.
  3. NaMaNaX

NaMaNaX New Member

The magnet sensor is somewhere just above the battery. Pretty much right under the indent on the battery cover.

A tiny magned can be placed there in 2 ways, positive or negative polarity to turn on these modes. Find a way to move the case magnet away from this location if possible.

Or get a new case.
  4. ElderEddie

ElderEddie New Member

I just carefully cut the magnet out of my case and put pennys in the slot where the magnet was for weight and then just taped up the spot where I cut the magnet out. Cost, two pennys.
  5. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I would love a software switch to disable the stupid car mode so when its in the cradle in my car it DOESN'T go to the nav screen! I never use that screen....I can search with Navigate to command, I can search with Find command then tell it to navigate to, I have shortcuts to common destinations in a folder on my homescreen. I can even get back to the nav map from anywhere by the shortcut in the notification shade!!

All the stupid car mode does is make it so when I put it in the cradle I have to press the home button to go back to the annoying nav screen then press the home button there to get BACK TO HOME!! It is SO freakin annoying!

Does anyone either know how to software disable this horribly useless feature or know where the magnet is in the cradle so I can carefully cut it out??
  6. tommyz

tommyz Member

This is the exact same reason, I'm looking for a way to disable the Nav Screen. It would be so bad if you could change the nav home page to suit your needs.
  7. messenger13

messenger13 New Member

Two options:

1 - If you are rooted, rename the CarDock.apk file in the /system/app folder. Renaming it CarDock.apk.bak works great. In the future, simply renaming the file back to CarDock.apk reinstalls it. I've already done this to mine.

2 - Remove the magnet in the car dock. This too is simpler than you think, and reversible. Look at the car dock without the DROID mounted. See the Motorola nameplate? That pops right out if you pry with a thin object on the right side. Once that is removed, you will see the tiny magnet on the left side. I took a tiny drill and drilled it out from the backside. Later on, you could always glue the magnet back in there if they ever fix the current lame car dock app.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I will try to get the magnet out using this technique tonite! THANKS!
  9. Dpovzor

Dpovzor New Member

Help. Ok here is my problem. My phone is rooted, and is running Peter Alfonso's GPA16 @800Mhz CPU. I have used titanium backup to remove car mode, because everytime the CPU would start to get hot it switched over. Really annoying. So now I have no car mode apps, but the phone is still trying to switch to car mode. Any ideas as to what I can do now?
Search tags for this page
car mode on droid phone
droid cancel multimedia

droid car mode

droid car mode magnet
droid multi media turn off
hiw do i turn on car multimedia
how do i turn on car multimedia
how do you disable orientation sensor on s3 in video mode
how do you turn on car multimedia
how to get your android off car mode
how to turn car media on