Turn off auto-rotate homescreen?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jamko101, Mar 1, 2010.

1. jamko101

jamko101 New Member

Ok so I have just updated with AdamZ new 5.0 ROM and decided to go with the 2.0.1 firmware with the auto-rotate option. Everything looks great and works beautifully except that the auto rotate to landscape mode bugs the crap out of me. I have searched through and through and haven't found a way to disable the auto rotate feature so that it only rotates when I slide the keyboard out. Does anyone out there know how I could possibly disable the auto rotate feature (without removing the ROM). Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
  2. bloodstains

bloodstains New Member

I'm having the same problem with DroidMod. I heard it's just a bug. Drives me nuts too.
  3. srt4mn

srt4mn New Member

Check out Pete's new 1.2 ROM. Has a stock theme, but without the dumb auto-rotate. I am loving it so far :)
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Bugless Beast doesn't do that...Haha! Sorry...Had to do it...
  5. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

IT IS NOT A BUG!!!!!!!!!! y'all need to learn about stuff before saying its a bug, its actually a FEATURE put in by someone at alldroid, who also uploaded a version without autorotate. So don't down a Rom with it and praise Pete cause his doesn't have a "bug", just push a non autorotating launcher over yourself
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

OMGZZ!! I installed this ROM without reading what it will/will not do. Now that I found out it doesn't do something I wanted it to, there is a bug in this ROM. It sucks! OMGZZ!!!

-Mike
  7. Humpa

Humpa New Member

I've tried the non-autorotate launcher.apk from alldroid, but it doesn't fix the DroidMod rotation in Home because I believe there is a bug.

I say there is a bug because if you turn off autorotation in Settings (like the dev's of DroidMod suggested), the Home still autorotates. And I suspect this BUG is the reason the non-autorate deodexed launcher.apk doesn't work correctly.

BUG, BUG, BUG :D
  8. jamko101

jamko101 New Member

I thought the "auto-rotate" option in the settings menu was just for the apps to rotate. I never had the homescreen rotate before I had this ROM installed. I knew that the ROM had the auto rotate thing, I just fell in love about how well it ran on my Droid that I didn't want to change to another. I was just hoping someone knew of a way to turn off the auto rotate feature. I guess since AdamZ was the one who created the ROM, then he would probably know, or atleast one of the devs would. Someone out there has got know something...
  9. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Does anyone have a link to a 5-screen 2.0.1 launcher without auto-rotate?
  10. sportsterBK8

sportsterBK8 New Member

I haven't found a non-autorotate launcher for 2.0.1 that is deodexed to work with deodexed roms, but I managed to get the launcher not to rotate on Droidmod1.0 by using the xUltimate tool that is posted over at alldroid.

It takes a bit of work, because you need the sdk, the motorola droid usb drivers (not just the ability to mount the sd card, but the drivers from their site), Java, and the xUltimate tool.

Then you have to launch xUltimate and follow directions that are posted on alldroid somewhere.

Overall the hardest part is definitely getting the xUltimate to see your phone by setting up the drivers and the sdk correctly. But it's pretty self explanitory if you know your way around a pc.

If you get this tool, it can edit your current launcher (the three screen default, or a 5 screen autorotate), and patch it to a 5 screen with OPTIONAL auto-rotate.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, PM IF YOU NEED HELP!

SportsterBK8
  11. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Is it just the /system/app/Launcher.apk that is altered? If so, could you post that file?

EDIT: or I'd take a link to this "xUltimate tool". ;)
  12. jamko101

jamko101 New Member

For sure if you have got any of the links it would be most beneficial. If not then I'm gonna have to do some searching after class today, that auto-rotate just bugs me so much, I can see why they kept it out from the stock 2.0.1 firmwares.

EDIT:

Got bored in class, here is a link to xUltimate

http://g1.alldroid.org/~alldroid/sh....2.4-**UPDATED-02-17-10**?highlight=xUltimate

Haven't tried fixing just yet, I'll let you guys know once I'm home.

EDIT 2:

Tried using xUltimate 1.2.4 and creating a 5 screen launcher with no auto-rotate with no success. I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly. Anyone else try this?
  13. sportsterBK8

sportsterBK8 New Member

I would gladly post the Launcher.apk that I am using, but it is themed as smoked glass, so you will have to give me some time to revert to stock theme, then post the apk. Otherwise that xUltimate should do the job, just make sure you have java, and chose the option NOT to install autorotate

hopefully I can post my launcher after I get a stock theme on it

P.S. both of these techniques will only work for a DEODEXED rom. so make sure you qualify for that.

Ill post soon with the apk,

SportsterBk8

EDIT:

OKAY GUYS AND GIRLS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
    READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TEARS OVER BOOT LOOPS OR BRICKED PHONES!

MOST IMPORTANTLY>>>>>>>> DOWNLOAD LAUNCHER+ FROM THE MARKET AND INSTALL BEFORE DOING THIS IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG. SET IT AS DEFAULT LAUNCHER, SO YOU CAN USE IT TO NAVIGATE AND FIX SOMETHING IF YOU SCREW UP!! OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET BOOT LOOPS IF YOU SCREW UP!!!

whew! okay, now that that's over with.
    Read below for either Odexed, or Deodexed, depending on which rom you have. Then follow the directions in that section..
    GOOD LUCK!

DEODEXED ROMS-----
    For those of you with Deodexed roms, you can just use the file from my phone, which is a 5 screen Deodexed STOCK themed launcher, WITHOUT autorotate. This was made using the xUltimate (cred to xeudoxus at alldroid) tool over a deodexed stock launcher.

(Uploaded on mediafire because droidforums doesn't allow .apk as an attachment, it's just easier direction wise to leave it as an .apk instead of messing around with file names.)

Put this file (Launcher.apk) in the root of your sd card, then using a terminal emulator, enter these commands...
    (don't type in the "**" or "To Backup")
    cp /system/app/Launcher.odex /system/app/Launcher.obak **To Backup**
    cp /sdcard/Launcher.apk /system/app/Launcher.apk
    cp /sdcard/Launcher.odex /system/app/Launcher.odex
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ODEXED ROMS------
    follow xeudoxus' directions over at his Alldroid thread, the files on the first page should be for Odexed roms.

Heres the link for xeudoxus' thread.
    http://alldroid.org/threads/14380-[release]Launcher-2-0-1-w-5Screens-v1-1a-AuRot-*Upd-1-6-10*
  14. Humpa

Humpa New Member

If it isn't too much trouble, you can upload the launcher.apk as is. I have that theme anyway. You can upload it right here: http://www.humpa.com/test/test.php (just a simple upload page I keep handy for things like this ;) )

alldroid was down earlier. I'll probably go check out that tool now too.
  15. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i had this problem on an older version of bb, but on bb 1.1 with chevy's 1.2 kernel it doesnt do it.
    i agree it was really annoying
  16. Humpa

Humpa New Member

I isn't a big deal, but I always lay my phone down and half the time it ends up in landscape. So all those 1/2 seconds I wait for it to go back to portrait in the course of a month could add up. :D

I should just go fix mine myself, but I've done enough coding today at work and am feeling lazy. So I hope sportsterBK8 is kind enough to let me have his.
  17. sportsterBK8

sportsterBK8 New Member

Yep!

JUST CHECK MY PREVIOUS POST,

I can make a thread out of this if you guys and girls think it might help.

Otherwise good luck, and definitely post back and let me know if it worked!

GOOD LUCK!
    SportsterBK8
  18. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Thanks! I grabbed that deodexed launcher.apk and it works nicely and doesn't rotate. :D
  19. sportsterBK8

sportsterBK8 New Member

No problem, the link on this page is stock themed, I'll upload the smoked glass themed one to your server. Just remember to rename to "Launcher.apk" because I'm gonna name it something else before uploading so I don't get files mixed up.

Uploaded to your site named as "SmokedglassLauncher.apk"

Possibly copy that link in a reply in case anyone wants the smoked glass version, if you're willing to share bandwidth.

SportsterBK8
  20. Humpa

Humpa New Member

http://www.humpa.com/downloads/SmokedglassLauncher.apk
    (right click and "save as" to download)

Thanks. I'm glad I didn't bother setting up my screens again. ;)
Search tags for this page
android disable auto rotate home screen
android disable home screen auto rotate
android home screen landscape prevent
autorotation launcher go launcher
disable auto rotate home screen android

disable go launcher home screen rotation

disable home screen rotation

disable home screen rotation android

disable screen rotation on homescreen
go launcher disable home screen rotation
go launcher rotate screen