Turn off any TV with the click of a button: The Off Button!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Link has been fixed. :)

Do you have a source for this? I did some research before developing the app and found it is not illegal to send out IR codes to a TV you don't own. The owner of an establishment may, and has any right to kick you out if they catch you being a dick with it. I find it hard to believe that police would ever come involved, much less arrest you.

Bottom line is, don't use it at a sports bar when the superbowl is going if you don't want to be a dick and get tons of people mad at you. It's more of a neat thing to show to friends / turn off TV's that no one is watching. However, I leave the responsibility of deciding how to use it up to you as the user.

It's the law in Fulton County Georgia but I've read enough to know that isn't the only place.

Last edited:

bbtkd

Reaction score
Who the bleep makes laws like than anyway?

Always amazing when politicians find time for trivial crap, but can't solve the big problems. Like when the US House is voting to name a new post office or declare national paperclip week, but can't be bothered to complete a real budget on time in the past 15 years or so.

KGreis

Reaction score
Always amazing when politicians find time for trivial crap, but can't solve the big problems. Like when the US House is voting to name a new post office or declare national paperclip week, but can't be bothered to complete a real budget on time in the past 15 years or so.

I say **** the government I know im gonna get **** from this lol

OP
H

haskelle

Reaction score
Does this work on the S3?

Unfortunately, this only works on devices with IR Blasters (Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One).

kwayit

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm excited to announce support for the Galaxy S4 with my app, The Off Button. This is an essential application for any S4 user as it provides compelling functionality with the IR Blaster.

Similar to the TV-B-Gone, The Off Button will send out almost every known TV 'off' code to turn off nearly any TV that you desire. Simply aim the device at the TV and push the button and wait for the TV to turn off! Imagine the hilarity that would ensue after taking this to a restaurant / sports bar / best buy... I designed this app to have a simple, clean UI to make it enjoyable to use.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codisms.offButton

View attachment 64691 View attachment 64690

I bought your app! The local supermarket blasts 2 TV's while playing music. I have complained many times, I don't have a need to have a TV blasting some stupid show while I'm shopping. This fixes my issue!

kwayit

Reaction score
It's the law in Fulton County Georgia but I've read enough to know that isn't the only place.
I would have to call BS on that. I doubt that anyone has had an issue with this, even when people brought home remotes to bars, to bother making a law any where other than MAYBE one place. A good solid ass kickin' is more likely than a legal issue.

OP
H

haskelle

Reaction score
I would have to call BS on that. I doubt that anyone has had an issue with this, even when people brought home remotes to bars, to bother making a law any where other than MAYBE one place. A good solid ass kickin' is more likely than a legal issue.

Which could turn into a potential legal issue itself! Assault is illegal in most if not all jurisdictions.

Personally, I wouldn't doubt that there are some places with this in their books. There are ridiculous laws everywhere. However, I contend that this is such a niche issue that most places have not written laws regarding this, and I'd even imagine it would be difficult to pass said legislature. Also, I have done some research and am still unable to find any mention (yet) of using IR in public to turn off TV's as being illegal in Fulton County, Georgia. If you can provide documentation of this, I'd be very greatful as I have yet to see the wording of some of the legislature and am very interested in what they laws say.

From my understanding (again, I still have yet to review the purported laws, which I would love to see) it's not illegal in the large majority of jurisdictions. In fact, there are commercial devices that are legally sold that accomplish this very task (TV-B-Gone). If I'm a business owner, and unless my jurisdiction has a unique law regarding IR, the best I can do is ask someone to leave my establishment for messing with my TV's. If they do not leave, I am welcome to call the cops as that would be my legal right.

In conclusion, I'd absolutely love to see some documentation of IR laws if you can please refer to what laws you are referencing, leeshor. Seems like you've got some good knowledge about this!

Thanks for the info :)

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are no laws against this in the majority of jurisdictions. If it exists at all its niche.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4