Turn off any TV with the click of a button: The Off Button!

haskelle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm excited to announce support for the Galaxy S4 with my app, The Off Button. This is an essential application for any S4 user as it provides compelling functionality with the IR Blaster.

Similar to the TV-B-Gone, The Off Button will send out almost every known TV 'off' code to turn off nearly any TV that you desire. Simply aim the device at the TV and push the button and wait for the TV to turn off! Imagine the hilarity that would ensue after taking this to a restaurant / sports bar / best buy... I designed this app to have a simple, clean UI to make it enjoyable to use.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codisms.offButton

View attachment 64691 View attachment 64690

I'm also actively accepting feedback / feature suggestions for future versions. The most popular suggestion right now is to add functionality to save known IR codes that work. This would save time so you didn't have to loop through all of the codes again. I plan on implementing this feature next, but I look forward to any other ideas you guys have!

Enjoy (responsibly...)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Funny, yes...until the big guy watching the game next to you at the bar realizes it's you who is shutting off his TV>>>:icon_eek:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Funny, yes...until the big guy watching the game next to you at the bar realizes it's you who is shutting off his TV>>>:icon_eek:

Do that during a rivalry game and the next app you would need is to use you phone to buzz the nurse for your meal in a straw as you lie there in a full body cast. Maybe a disclaimer to use responsibly .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
H

haskelle

Reaction score
Do that during a rivalry game and the next app you would need is to use you phone to buzz the nurse for your meal in a straw as you lie there in a full body cast. Maybe a disclaimer to use responsibly .

You make a good point. I'll add that disclaimer to the play store tonight. Don't want anyone getting hurt over it :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I used the WatchOn app to mess with my dad the other day, was pretty funny. Got my uncle the next day at his place too:D

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What leeshor said

Also lets you control your DVR if you have one. Best part, it's one of the samsung apps that comes preloaded onto the phone

bbtkd

Reaction score

I can't imagine too many opportunities to use this responsibly. Perhaps just urge folks not to get caught.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There are cities and states that can, (and may) put you in jail for using it. Just sayin.
but the idea of being able to turn off every TV in your local electronics store seems like good ol harmless fun:D

seriously don't do it.

Spydaz

Reaction score
Where did the app go? Linky no worky

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
H

haskelle

Reaction score
Link has been fixed. :)

There are cities and states that can, (and may) put you in jail for using it. Just sayin.

Do you have a source for this? I did some research before developing the app and found it is not illegal to send out IR codes to a TV you don't own. The owner of an establishment may, and has any right to kick you out if they catch you. I find it hard to believe that police would ever come involved, much less arrest you.

Bottom line is, don't use it at a sports bar when the superbowl is going if you don't want to get tons of people mad at you. It's more of a neat thing to show to friends / turn off TV's that no one is watching. However, I leave the responsibility of deciding how to use it up to you as the user.

Last edited by a moderator: