turn off 3G data but keep wifi?

took

Reaction score
I wish to turn off 3G data while keep wifi on my Moto Droid (Android 2.1 rooted). I searched the web but can't find any working solution. Apps like QuickSettings and APNDroid don't work on CDMA; DroidWall doesn't work either, because iptable is missing in Moto Droid (there's a possible workaround involving installing another app and doing some manual setup, but I haven't tried it yet). Any suggestion? And does Android 2.2 have this function? Thank you!

tahdor

Reaction score
Get AnyCut.
Add a shortcut to "Data Call" using Anycut.
Enable/Disable data using this shortcut. I do all the time. Works perfectly. Saves battery.

By the way, when WiFi is on and connected, then 3G is off by default. You do not need to switch of 3G.

OP
T

took

Reaction score
I want to totally shut off 3G data, so even if wifi signal is lost, it won't switch to 3G by itself.

I just tried the Data Call shortcut of AnyCut, and it doesn't seem to work correctly. Even when I disable data call, once the wifi signal is lost, data call is enabled by itself.

Get AnyCut.
Add a shortcut to "Data Call" using Anycut.
Enable/Disable data using this shortcut. I do all the time. Works perfectly. Saves battery.

By the way, when WiFi is on and connected, then 3G is off by default. You do not need to switch of 3G.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
It sounds like you're looking for airplane mode. Unless I'm misunderstanding your request...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It sounds like you're looking for airplane mode. Unless I'm misunderstanding your request...

Yup, Airplane mode then just turn wifi on.

ljprevo

Reaction score
Here is what I did.

Settings -> Wireless & networks -> (at the bottom) Mobile networks

Uncheck "Data Enabled"

I uncheck that and do not get 3G, but wifi still works.

I am on 2.2, not sure if this works on 2.1

ljprevo

Reaction score
Just checked my wife's non rooted 2.1, the option is not there :(

Humm, wonder if this is an option Verizon don't want people to have so they can't use the "You HAVE to have a $30 internet plan to have the Droid" {Scammers!!!}

OP
T

took

Reaction score
No I still want to make/receive phone calls. Just don't want to use cellphone signals for data.