Tun.ko and get-a-robot-vpnc (VPN Connections)

Tekz08

Reaction score
Any chance that the next version of Liberty will have tun.ko and the capability for VPN Connections to work?

All it does now is crash whenever I try to connect to a VPN.

Apologies if this is not possible - I ran a search on the entire forum here and didn't pull anything... don't know if it's not talked about or if it's just never been brought up.

bogatyr

Reaction score
My steps:

Install VPN Connections from: get-a-robot-vpnc - Project Hosting on Google Code

Download the tun_alt.ko file to the phone/sdcard: http://www.saturnwiki.net/droid_tun_driver/2.6.32.9/tun_alt.ko
(the built in browser wouldn't download it so I did that on my desktop, the built in one only showed the contents of the file)

Start the terminal emulator and use these commands:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cp /sdcard/tun_alt.ko /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

Works like a charm for me. I'm able to connect to Cisco 2811 routers using IPSEC VPNs.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
My steps:

Install VPN Connections from: get-a-robot-vpnc - Project Hosting on Google Code

Download the tun_alt.ko file to the phone/sdcard: http://www.saturnwiki.net/droid_tun_driver/2.6.32.9/tun_alt.ko
(the built in browser wouldn't download it so I did that on my desktop, the built in one only showed the contents of the file)

Start the terminal emulator and use these commands:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cp /sdcard/tun_alt.ko /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

Works like a charm for me. I'm able to connect to Cisco 2811 routers using IPSEC VPNs.

Does this stick after a reboot? I'm clueless as to what this does but am VERY interested!

bogatyr

Reaction score
Yes, it sticks after restarting. I used it for some time on my D2G so I'm quite happy that it works on my X too. My phone lets me support work without lugging my laptop around.

bogatyr

Reaction score
Also it basically opens the system partition for write access, copies the tun.ko. file into it, then sets it back to read only and installs the module. I think. Once installed, vpnconnections can use the tun.ko module for Cisco Ipsec VPNs.