Trying to understand the file structure of my new Droid

MisterBibs

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I've got a Droid Incredible, and I love it. I'm having a tiny issue regarding it, however, concerning folder structures for organization.

I want to organize my photos / videos, but I don't see how to do that in-phone. Setting the phone as a hard drive works, but there's two hard drives (phone and SD card, I'm assuming). In-phone, the images that are stored on the SD card (ones from the simple-but-addicting Draw app) and the ones I've taken show up together, despite being in two different locations. It also lists all the images just fine, even if some are in the DCIM folder, or its subfolder 100MEDIA.

I'd like to organize my media, and know where to add media so that they show up in my phone. Let's say I have a video I want to put on my phone. Where do I put it? On the SD card, somewhere (and if so, what folder?)? On the phone HD (and again, if so, what folder?). Can I make folders to separate different pictures?

Hopefully I'm making sense about this...

To make matters worse,Even on the Phone HD itself, all the images are grouped together, despite some being in the DCIM folder, some in the subfolder 100MEDIA

jimnutt

Reaction score
Create a folder called "video" (or whatever you want to call it) and put your videos there. The gallery application will pick them up "automagically". Basically, you can organize things however you like on the SD card and the gallery app will find them (to keep it from finding images in a given folder, create a file called ".nomedia" in that folder and it will ignore the folder).

OP
M

MisterBibs

Reaction score
Create a folder called "video" (or whatever you want to call it) and put your videos there. The gallery application will pick them up "automagically".

Two questions:

- Where do I create the folder? Which Hard Drive?

- The gallery is picking them up just fine. Is there a way to define and sort the gallery based on folders? I want things like "Photos From The Tilted Kilt" or "Pics from the party", not "Camera Shots", "All photos", "downloaded", etc.

jimnutt

Reaction score
everything should be on the sdcard. you don't really want to store anything but applications on the phone itself.

I believe that if you put your pictures in folders on the sdcard, the gallery will pick up the folder names and organize them that way. At least that's what it does with my phone.

Taegost

Reaction score
Yeah, my gallery separates them into folders as well, I have quite a few, and some put in by Metamorph that I've been too lazy to .nomedia. You'd want to store them on the SD card, more room and the gallery doesn't care the physical location.
You would also probably have better luck in the Incredible forums, these are for the Motorola Droid, and we don't like people with bigger hard drives :)

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Everyone else is correct-
this is what i've created on the sd card and has worked perfectly for me:

make a folder called media and within it create:

MEDIA
>alarms
>notifications
>music
>camera
>ringtones
>videos

2 OBSERVATIONS

1. Programs often create their own folders on your card

2. if you want access to files like photos, videos, alarm sounds, notification sounds, music files and ringtones
you create a folder on the card called media and place several folders inside it.

btw- photos taken from the phone camera go into the DCIM folder. Photos that you want to see within gallery should be placed in MEDIA>CAMERA

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can put folders of photos wherever you want them and you can create as many folders as you want to organize the photos. The Gallery will automatically find them. I have albums for each of my folders on the SD card.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Gallery goodness

MEDIA
>alarms
>notifications
>music
>camera
>ringtones
>videos

Although you are able to be more haphazard if you choose i personally like this system because, FOR ME, it makes my files easier to find and alter.
Especially after apps and the system have created millions of folders on my card.

GALLERY
to create folders within gallery i create a folder in camera and put the files in their so it looks like this...

MEDIA
>CAMERA
>>London trip
>>>big ben.jpg

when i navigate to the gallery there is a folder of photos called London trip

nooter99

Reaction score
I have a really stupid question. Once I've created the folder, how do I move pics into that folder??

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I have a really stupid question. Once I've created the folder, how do I move pics into that folder??

Assuming they are on your computer and it's a pc

1. attach your phone to computer
2. go to MY COMPUTER- find the photo on your hard drive
3. click on the file & highlight it (click on it once)
4. click COPY FILE (middle left of screen)
5. select your phone & the correct folder
6. click COPY

Now it's still on your computer & your phone- I think that's the safest option because you may make a mistake.

nooter99

Reaction score
Actually, I was wondering if I could do it right on the phone. Lets say I have 100 pics in my gallery and I want to move 20 of them to a new folder that I've created on my sd card, can it be done without a PC?

West

Reaction score
Newbe - need help

Everyone else is correct-
this is what i've created on the sd card and has worked perfectly for me:

make a folder called media and within it create:

MEDIA
>alarms
>notifications
>music
>camera
>ringtones
>videos

2 OBSERVATIONS
1. Programs often create their own folders on your card

2. if you want access to files like photos, videos, alarm sounds, notification sounds, music files and ringtones
you create a folder on the card called media and place several folders inside it.

btw- photos taken from the phone camera go into the DCIM folder. Photos that you want to see within gallery should be placed in MEDIA>CAMERA

When I bring up my file structure of my Droid X using Explore (PC), I try to right-click like I do on any folder to make "NEW" ...folder, and I don't get this option. How do I set up the file structure on my Droid as you have outlined?

CBLJazz

Reaction score
When I bring up my file structure of my Droid X using Explore (PC), I try to right-click like I do on any folder to make "NEW" ...folder, and I don't get this option. How do I set up the file structure on my Droid as you have outlined?

new droids definitely appear to have a different system than my droid 1, but certain things don't change.
DCIM is the folder created by the phone camerra.

i created my file system by mounting the phone and creating folders-