Trying to txt with voice actions

cwaters

Reaction score
No matter how I say it, I can't get voice actions to put the recipient's name in the TO: box.
I say: "Send text to Average Joe___Why doesn't this feature work?" Every single time, the TO: box is blank and the message starts with the recipient's first name.

Is this feature working for you guys?

CW

Sippykipnip

Reaction score
it's a hit or miss on that for me too. Try saying the last name for example: Someone is Bob Smith....say "Text smith" and more 80% of the time, it's the person I was going for.

heartlessmcfly

Reaction score
Did u run the program to set the phone to recognize ur voice...? Dunno if u did but I have to ask

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
C

cwaters

Reaction score
No, I don't think I did any "learn my voice" program. It's getting all my words right, it just puts them all in the message box.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
First you have to say it like this Text Bob *short-pause* and then your message

Second, and most important, the Contact has to be synced with your Google Contacts for the Google Voice Actions to pick it up :)

belome

Reaction score
Second, and most important, the Contact has to be synced with your Google Contacts for the Google Voice Actions to pick it up :)

Can you explain this to me. I have a gMail account, but I don't have any contacts in there. All of my contacts were loaded onto the phone by either Backup Assistant or when FB loaded everyone (which pissed me off.)

What is google contacts?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google Contacts is associated with your Gmail Account, any contacts you put in your phone contact list will be synced with your Gmail account and any contacts you put in your Gmail contacts will sync with your phone, you just have to choose the sync option in settings/accounts and sync

belome

Reaction score
OK, I did have it sync'ing... but it only has contact that I added recently. How do I get it to sync all of my phone contacts?

edit - it appears I have 'google' contacts and 'phone' contacts. How do I push my phone contacts to my google contacts?

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
On the D2 I am not sure, the best way I know how to edit contacts is within Gmail on a computer

In the meantime you should test the Voice Text on the one Google Contact you have

pool_shark

Reaction score
My voice commands work just fine and I don't use google contacts. I did do the voice learning though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused at what it is you want to do. You want all your contacts with phone numbers in a group?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My voice commands work just fine and I don't use google contacts. I did do the voice learning though.

There's a voice learning thing on this? This is news to me, I can't find it. I see voice recognizer settings but nothing to teach the Droid your voice.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting...I have dealt with a few different cases of voice text not working right, like when you say (text bob) the name bob goes into the "text" feild instead of the "to" feild (although I have never had this problem) and the solution twice now, was to have the contacts synced with google first, and then it will pick the names up

pool_shark

Reaction score
Interesting...I have dealt with a few different cases of voice text not working right, like when you say (text bob) the name bob goes into the "text" feild instead of the "to" feild (although I have never had this problem) and the solution twice now, was to have the contacts synced with google first, and then it will pick the names up

Yeah, if I say text bob, it comes up with no To: entry, and Bob in the text field.

But if I say "send text bob" the To: field has Bob's number and nothing in the text field.