Trying to root old droid 3 - not working

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
I did that...so I got that working. But then I followed the directions in the video and when the phone rebooted it took me right to safestrap recovery (a screen with 8 boxes on it) but in one of the videos it took the person to CWM. I just went into the safestrap recovery and created a backup...I'll keep playing with it. Thx for checking back!!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
safestrap 3 changed to touch screen with muli slots, you may have watched an 2.0 video

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Got it...that makes sense. I just created a rom partition and wiped everything. Now all I need is a good rom to load. I was going to try maverick but like many of the files/roms out here, the links no longer work. AMAZING that after a year so much is gone :(

Any ideas on a couple good rom files and file locations? I'm up for anything. Like I said, risk free playing!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I run Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich
works well for me, but camera can be a little glitchy

gingerbread roms
Steel Droid: 5.0 Gingerbread - 1-11-2013

Minimoto v1.7 XT862/XT860- Less is more.
XT861 5.8.25 Stock ROM. Android 2.3.6 - UPDATED 1/23

ICS
cm9

Jellybean (no camera)
[KEXEC] JB ROMS For Droid 3
[JB] [4.2.2] Avatar ROM for Motorola Droid 3 (solana) - Updated [May 18,2013]
Goo.im Downloads - Browsing solana
with aosp/aokp/cm make sure you flash correct GAAPS...

edit;
several roms here Droid 3 Android Development

XT860-MavROM-4.5.zip it's not the XT862 build prop version but should run fine on wifi only
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d11dihrqfbzhcsv/XT860-MavROM-4.5.zip

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Yeah I really wanted Steel Droid but the links aren't working...like I said,they're defunct :(

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
SO weird! It doesn't work in mozilla but it does in IE. I wonder if that's been my missing file issue all along. Hmmm....and firefox is typically much better!

That being said, IE gets me at least to the page but then the download button still downloads nothing. I"ll keep lookig but thx!

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
try chrome, or see if there is an update for firefox.
also could be a cookies issue, try clearing them

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try some things. The most important thing is that I was able to get safestrap installed, create a rom partition and flash a rom. Unreal how easy the app is. Great job on that to whomever developed it!!!The most worrysome part was doing a factory reset on the phone. Before I started anything, I wanted to do that. But when I did, it took me to the "activate your phone" screen and there was no way to bypass it. So I had to reactivate it with Verizon and then reactivate by S4 in order to deactivate the droid. Kind of funny and I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it. Might be a nice stand-along for things like universal remote, etc. You know...just leave it in the family room for use from time to time...

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
skipping activation
if you do not wish to activate with verizon, use four corners activation skip
[video][video=youtube;6MFLvus5M3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MFLvus5M3c&feature=share&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-LiGNvn4yGoU6uU7DPzN3Z2[/video] -Tomsgt123

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
OF COURSE! There's always a way eh? That's why I'll NEVER go the apple route lol!