trying to root my 2.2 updated Droid X - refuses to work

tjrulez32

Reaction score
Please Please Help.. Been up for 8 hours straight trying to do this. I have done every step and it just wont work... i downloaded everything exactly. run the set up and it says phone is rooted. but when i go on my phone there is no superuser ninja and nothing showing my phone is rooted... i have no idea what i am doing wrong... do you think verizon or motorola put someing in the 2.2 update to deny the root? I been researching since the ota 2.2 came out on tuesday and still nothing. PLEASE help... im sick about this...

thanks guys you guys are great here!

kk4df

Reaction score
You can't go back to 2.1 once you take the OTA upgrade. There is a method posted on Rootzwiki describing the process to root your phone, but that site was down late yesterday.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
T

tjrulez32

Reaction score
Thats my only option. It said that this would work on the droid x 2.2 and the droid 2 phones.
According to Wimervision, Sabashtian Krahmer, Howto Root Motorola Droid X and 2 running 2.2 Froyo Win7/Mac/Linux
[video=youtube;u5l3MDomDSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5l3MDomDSc&feature=related]YouTube - Howto Root Motorola Droid X and 2 running 2.2 Froyo Win7/Mac/Linux[/video]

So this video is definilty false?

Should i just wait for someone to fix this root or do i have to go to revert back to stock 2.1. This is so frustrating.. Was so excited to root my baby and got shot down :(

Appreciate the help. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me..

Thanks again everyone.. Your great.

kk4df

Reaction score
What I know is true after the official Verizon OTA update is that trying to flash back to 2.1 will brick your phone. The available rooting methods changed as well with the OTA update. Rootzwiki has the correct method listed for those who have the OTA version.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
T

tjrulez32

Reaction score
According to A tweet from Birdman, once you upgrade to 2.2 the 2.1 SBF does not work anymore??

manaox2

Reaction score
According to A tweet from Birdman, once you upgrade to 2.2 the 2.1 SBF does not work anymore??

This is definitely true with a sticky in the Droid X forum to back it up. Do not try flashing the 2.1 SBF after an OTA upgrade to 2.2. It will brick, the bootloader has been resigned to prevent 2.1 from loading.

I used the method in the video. However many users attempting it found that you wanted a specific version of the Motorola USB drivers for it to work. I'll see if I can find that download.

EDIT: Yep, here: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/Experiences/Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_bit_4.7.1.zip I also set my droid to USB mass storage mode while it was attached with debug enabled to run the script.

The comments in this guide are helpful: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/09/22/how-to-root-droid-x-running-official-android-2-2/

Last edited:

tj1772

Reaction score
error

I keep getting error 06: do not have permission system file. Anyone know how to fix this.

Cidorov

Reaction score
Many times

I was able to do this but had to use the 1 step method many times before it would take. Maybe it is the driver. I would get to executing the exploit and either my x would freeze or adb would hang...

However, it finally took after several attempts with the 1 step version that uses a .bat command file.

OP
T

tjrulez32

Reaction score
Thats the drivers i have downloaded... i tried in pc mode, i tried in sync, i tried charge only.. this is crazy... What can i do?? do i have to just wait for a new root for the 2.2. Is anyone around new jersey that can just do this for me? So frustrating..

Thanks,

tj1772

Reaction score
I installed the 4.7.1. driver. It recognizes my device. Script would run all the way to the end. This is when I get the error. From what I can see it is the last step. I've tried pc mode, mass storage and charge only to no avail.

Thanks

Cidorov

Reaction score
Which version of SDK/ADB

The current version is 7. 4 is floating around out there. Also, which OS are you on?

Daali

Reaction score
Stop doing the doroot batch file and do it by hand. Open the batch file and send the adb commands one at a time, or follow the adb droid x root ota 2.2(droid 2 method).
Environment variables and pathing can make the batch file falsely finish and say you are rooted.

Follow this guide for the commands. If you did not set your environment path variable, dump everything into your adb directory.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/82584-droid-2-root-dx-ota-2-2-a.html

Daali

Reaction score
btw: you can paste into a command shell to make it very easy to do it manual

Click on the upper left icon on the command shell window, referred to as the system menu, and along with Move, Size, and so on, you'll see a sub menu called Edit. Click on that, and you'll find Copy, Paste and other clipboard related commands.