trying to root a motorola droid 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JNielson, Jul 24, 2010.

1. JNielson

JNielson New Member

Hello, I am new here and I was reading up on rooting my phone and I would like to try and root it so I can put a custom rom on it and overclock it. My Droid is running 2.2 and I read a couple months ago that it was either root it or upgrade to 2.2 and ever since I upgraded, I've been disappointed with the few new features that it included. I want to be able to tether my phone and it would be nice to have a different look. So if I can't put a new ron on my Droid because its 2.2, is there a way to downgrade or do a restore back to 2.1 and then put a custom rom on it? If there is, could you please include links? Any help would be appreciated. Also, sorry if all of this is posted somewhere else.
  2. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

How is your Droid running stock 2.2? Did I miss that they did the OTA push somehow? Not that I'd even consider using the official OTA anyways.
  3. Ludacrosse05

Ludacrosse05 New Member

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The first version of 2.2 came without root. So yes, it's possible to have 2.2 and not be rooted.

What you need to do to fix this is simply install a later version (preferably FRG01B) and it will have root with it. So when you install it your Droid will then be rooted.
  5. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Well, I think before we can proceed in any dirction, the OP needs to reclarify:

What is on his phone right now.

Either you made a error, and are on 2.1 wanting to go to 2.2 (meaning you upgraded to 2.1 and are not happy, a plausable situation) ...

Or you have gone to 2.2 (Not my thought, as then you wouldn't be asking in your first post HOW to root and install a custom ROM). Yes, the first 2.2 was non root, but it still had a few steps to perform that upgrade.

If you already went to 2.2 without doing a backup, then the only way you will get back is a RSD reflash...
  6. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

OK I was confused. It seemed he didn't understand flashing so I assumed he would have only gotten 2.2 via OTA. Sorry for the confusion (and appeared ignorance).
  7. droid15

droid15 New Member

8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

9. JNielson

JNielson New Member

What I did was downloaded the 2.2 on my computer and then put it on my SD card and then powered it down and powered it back up while holding certain buttons and I then flashed 2.2. Is there a way I can put froyo 2.2 on or any custom rom just by reflashing it or do I have to somehow get it back to 2.1?

EDIT: How would I do an RSD flash? After I do an RSD flash what would I do to put a custom rom on it and how would I overclock it?
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010