Trying to learn, need help

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by virodeath, Jan 2, 2010.

1. virodeath

virodeath New Member

Hi guys I am a new Droid owner and I am wanting to learn about it so I can do wonderful things like themes and stuff that I see alot of others doing. I would like to create and share my work but I am starting at the mail room in the basement (so to speak) and working my way up. I want to learn but need a community willing to help me.

I have a Motorola Droid running on the 2.0.1 update and I am trying to first learn:

1. what do I need to do to add a theme
    2. who has the themes and how do you know if they will run on 2.0.1
    3. (after I have one and 2 mastered) what development software is best for beginners to start out on

Now I didn't just come here and post without having done a ton of research already, the problem I am having is there is so much information, slang terms, wondering threads, different phones referred to as Droid, etc, etc. I can't make any scene of it so I have not got a good area to start. I found lots of places that say "start with Ahome" but then when you go to the MP it says it only works with 1.6..... O K......

I have rooted my phone already using the method at The Unlocker but would love to know what I can look at to just verify it took and what do I do should I ever need to put it back to the original stock state of 2.0.1 un-rooted should I ever have to for some unknown reason...

So I hope you see why I am frustrated, I am trying to learn from what appears to be a rubix cube of information.

Can anyone help me out and get me started?

Thanks in advance!

Viro
  2. p0rk burn

p0rk burn New Member

To see if its rooted download a terminal emulator from the marketplace and type "su". The $ should change to a #. That means you have root.

As far as learning how to mod, I don't know about programs or any of that. If you want to really get your hands around the problem, you could modify the files themselves and use metamorph. This only works on a rooted phone and you could brick it (at least until you recover it with a nandroid backup) if you do it wrong. I don't use the home theme apps themselves, I've been teaching myself how to modify framework-res files to change the colors and transparency levels.

To unroot your phone and return it to stock, check out the Hacks section. There multiple threads concerning that. The easiest way would be to download the clean 2.01 image and install that using nandroid and then delete the busybox, custom recovery, and root.