Trying to go to gingerbread

Aiwa

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just recently rooted my phone and I like it a lot. However a bit new in this and now I am trying to go for gingerbread because I see that most themes today are build for that and I read in other threads that it is worth it.
I think I have Froyo but it says my version is 2.2.1
All the forums explaining how to go to gingerbread say upgrade from froyo 2.2.2 to gingerbread but my question is how can I go to 2.2.2 first so that later I could do the gb update

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

e30bimmer89

Reaction score
The 2 part method works great and its pre-rooted so you can still use your root apps. I just recently installed the it and then flashed Liberty GB v.08 and have not looked back since. If you need links or further help with it, just pm and I'll be happy to help. If you decide to stay stock with out root, then the OTA update works as well. I don't think it has been rooted as of yet, but I'm sure it will be eventually.

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
Hey man thanks for your response that's exactly what I need. I like my rooted phone so if I could go all the way to liberty gb it would be awesome I want to at least try it. However what is this 2 part method that you mentioned above? I google but can't find it. I think I could do the gb liberty but I think for that flash I need the 2.2.2 right? If you have a link on how to go to 2.2.2 it would be great

e30bimmer89

Reaction score
Here is a link to GB Liberty, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/151273-rom-liberty-gingerbread.html and this Download: Official DROIDX Gingerbread 4.5.596 for Rooted Users - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog has the 2 part method you need. Just make sure your on a bone stock Froyo phone. No other ROMS or anything else. Once you download the 2 files, just simply boot into recovery and flash part 1 then part 2 and bingo bango, you're on the GB leak thats rooted. After that, just flash the GB liberty ROM and you will be all set to have fun. Need more help, just PM me or do a search. Oh and make sure you're using D2 bootstrapper not DX because it dosnt work well with GB

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
Thank you man! Exactly what I needed!!

+1

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
Thanks for those instructions too its much more detailed. I have one question for either of you though;
I starte with the process of rooting not even one week ago and I had to purchase the bootstrap recovery for Droid X. Now that I am using Froyo rooted I feel like there is nothing for froyo anymore because everyone is already on GB and all the cool ROMs and themes are only for GB. But what concerns me is that now everyone is telling me to get the bootstrap for Droid2 for GB but that just sucks a bit because I JUST bought the droid x bootstrap and I feel like I should just use it more before I buy the new one in so that I can make my money's worth. I know it is very cheap but its still kind of annoying tha I just bought the other and I should've read more before I got it. My question is do you guys still think it would be worth for me to just buy the D2 bootstrap and upgrade it to GB, even though I just got the Dx one?
One more quick question is about the ne GB I heard it is coming out soon which are fixing many bugs and if I do upgrade I would have to go through the whole process to get the new GB again. Should I wait for this new version or just go for the old one bc it is good enough?
Thanks but I just need to read some opinions before I jump to getting a new bootstrap

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
So I tried downloading and it seems like it downloaded a .txt file. When I try to open it, it tells me to open with a program and I tried with all the ones I have available and none worked. Sorry if this is a noob question but if this does work it would be amazing so could you point me to the right direction to intall it?

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
Nice! For some reason when I downloaded it was called .txt
So I just went on Astro and renamed it to .apk and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much man!!! I do want to wait for the new update but I have nothing to do now so I might just try to run through those steps so I can get some ROMs and Themes. When the update comes I won't mind running through the steps again, I just hope nothing will go wrong here.
And by the way where will the new GB be posted when it becomes available to the public?

Again thank you so much for that link!

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
I am going through the steps making sure I install everything before I do the updade and I see a few things i'm not sure about:

1. LGB Boostrap? Or D2 Bootstrap?
2. How do I get Liberty 0.*? And which version would be better to begin? Coming from Froyo.

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
Kasey thanks for all the help.
I feel kind of annoying but I am just not being able to make my phone show up on RSD Lite. I believe it's because i'm not being able to complete the PC charging drivers from my phone.

I installed the drivers from your link with no problem but then I downloaded the PC charger for my version and when I plug in my phone in the computer I get 3 pop ups, 1. Annoying Verizon website 2. Floppy disk inserted 3. New hardware found

In 3 I click to find it by itself first cause its my only option and then it doesn't so it gives me the opition to chose a folder. I go to the folder where I unzipped th one file I downloaded and select it but I get an error message saying driver not found and then it cancels everything. I also tried the bottom pc charger and it does the same thing. I can't seem to find out his to install the pc charger. Im sorry I ask so many questions but I did do research and tried many times before I came ere again to ask for help. I just feel like it is something very little that I need to do and I need to learn how to SBF my phone also in case of an emergency so any ideas would be appreciated