trying to get wireless tether to work. please help!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Killmanaj, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Killmanaj

Killmanaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My phone is rooted and I have downloaded the latest flash image. I have also downloaded the wireless tether patch. When I run the patch it starts then says for me to check step 3 on the website. I'm kind of new to this but I learn fast so any help would be appreciated.

2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Did you check step 3 at the link and you're not understanding the steps?

3. Killmanaj

Killmanaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Am I supposed to manually do everything from 3 on? I don't know why the patch didn't work

4. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    The error you're getting is adb not found, right? If so, the patcher CAN'T work. It needs adb. So follow the instructions to make adb available, which involves modifying the PATH variable ...

As far as 'manually from step 3 on' .. there's only 1 more step after 3, which is running the patcher again.

5. Killmanaj

Killmanaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I will try that.

6. Killmanaj

Killmanaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i am no longer getting the error. but now when it says detecting phone nothing happens. It just keeps saying detecting phone.

7. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    And usb debugging is turned on?

What happens when you open a dos prompt and type 'adb devices'

8. Killmanaj

Killmanaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry. I'm an idiot I thought i had the sd card mounted and i didn't. everything worked once i did that. One more question though. I went through the setup and it says 0 kb down and 0 kb up and it will not change

9. Killmanaj

Killmanaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got this from the original wireless tether thread. This is what is happening.

"ok, I'll report it's not working for me I am rooted, have sirpsycho's recovery image, everything goes fine until when it says to try logging into tethering to start it it asks for permission, I select always, but it won't start tethering, it fails. I goto the next step and I get "failed on /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether.orig - Not a Directory Unable to chmod /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether: not a directory" Then tells me I'm ready for tether, but I'm obviously not."
    ok, I'll report it's not working for me I am rooted, have sirpsycho's recovery image, everything goes fine until when it says to try logging into tethering to start it it asks for permission, I select always, but it won't start tethering, it fails. I goto the next step and I get "failed on /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether.orig - Not a Directory Unable to chmod /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether: not a directory" Then tells me I'm ready for tether, but I'm obviously not. I will say I browsed to this location /data/data/android.tether/bin is a file, not a folder, thus there is no /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether.orig
    The you replied...
    That is weird ... did you try it again? For this to happen, wifi either installed to somewhere else on your phone ( not likely ) or it failed during installation. I would try to uninstall wifi-tether again, then enter this command from a DOS prompt:

adb shell busybox rm -rf /data/data/android.tether

Then run the exe again and report back. My x64 box is down and out, so I can't test on that.
    That isn't working either