1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Trying to figure this out!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by GoIowa18, Mar 8, 2010.

1. GoIowa18

GoIowa18 New Member

Ok, so I am a total noob to all of this... I am semi tech savvy and can follow directions well, so I'm not really worried about doing the actual rooting and flashing and whatnot...

My question is that I've been reading for a couple days on what everyone is doing, and there are so many options... not only different procedures and programs people are using to root/flash their phone, but different ROMs and things... I'm confused as to which way to go.

I've seen that obviously the rooting is where to start. Then I see people going to 2.1 and bugless beast a lot. Is that something that you do both of, or one or the other?

Sorry to be asking the same question I'm sure 100 other noobs have, but I haven't really found a thread that has answered my questions completely... mostly just threads on how to complete these tasks... but none really on what to install to come up with the best end result. I guess I just dont understand the difference between the OS version, the ROM, the kernel, and all of that.

If anyone can give me suggestions, or even just point me to a good thread about it and lock this one and call me a stupid noob, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Droidmod. You can't go wrong, it does the rooting for you. Then if you want to try other ROMs, that's up to you. www.droimod.org. Download DMupdater.
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Yes this is hard to keep current. It seems that every day a developer releases a new rom. Here is a link to a blog (Droid-Does.Blogspot.Com) that has lots of information. Look on the side for Matt's rooting process. It is a very detailed description.

Mike
  4. GoIowa18

GoIowa18 New Member

Ok, so I rooted my phone with Droidmod, and followed all the instructions and I guess it installed Droidmod 1.0 ROM? Noticed a few changes such as 5 screens and a few more options that I can choose such as IM and Superuser permissions, Wireless tether... etc

Don't really know what to do from here though. Can I use the rooting that Droidmod did to install the other ROMs or 2.1?

I notice my 4 keys at the bottom dont light up anymore either.

Just loooking for what I should do from here... thanks!
  5. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Find a ROM that sounds good...read the instructions then the whole thread (or as much as you can take)...then read the instructions very very carefully and then go.

Personally I prefer an ESE53 base rom. They are based of the 2.1 OTA that never came out. I am using Pets Bugless Beast and it s leaps and bounds better than anything I have used previously

If you have questions...ask them in that ROMs thread before trying...always better to feel stupid for asking a question...than have to ask for help fixing because you did not read carefully.

Good luck
  6. GoIowa18

GoIowa18 New Member

Ok, but the rooting that Droidmod did to my phone isn't any different than doing it manually?

So I can just find one and follow the instructions, skipping steps 1-7 or whatever it says since I am already rooted?
  7. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

right...essentially droid mod does the whole process....so you have root and recovery installed...and then the droidmod rom. You load ROMs from recovery...so the important part is making sure you have an updated vers. I believe droidmod istalls 0.99.3b, which if that is true...that is the lastest vers.

So...now you just find your ROM...for instance I use BBv.6. So I put the v.5 nandroid back up in the folder on my sdcard...then copied the update.zip to the root of the sdcard.

every rom is different..some only require a nandroid backup folder...others can do via update.zip. Just make sure you back up your whole phone using advanced backup before you ever do anything with new ROMs.
  8. GoIowa18

GoIowa18 New Member

So with what I've done so far... how would I go about installing 2.1 in the easiest way possible?
  9. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I'm not clear whether you have a 2.0.1 rom or a 2.1. If you already have a 2.1 then you dan use the update.zip method to install/flash a new rom

If , however, you still have a 2.0.1 rom then you need to use the nandroid method, which requires wipe of data and cache, to upgrade to the 2.1. You should backup your apps and data, first.

Mike
  10. Kabizzle

Kabizzle New Member

If you want a simple ROM which will do all the work for you, go with DroidMod.
    My personal favorite (no bias whatsoever here :p) is Pete's Bugless Beast (currently running the ESE53 V0.7). Matth3w has an amazing guide in Hacking Help which will get you through the entire thing and, since you say you're going to be able to follow directions, it'll be your best bet. The 2.1 software is hugely optimized for your phone and, coming from a 2.0.1 ROM before installing it, I can definitely say it's a huge improvement. The other thing that I've loved about doing it the long and dirty way is that I know exactly what I'm doing to my phone and how to work all the different things that I'm doing (also explained in Matth3w's guide). I can rest much more easily knowing that if something goes wrong with my phone, chances are good that I know how to fix it or what to do in order to go back to a previous, safe build.
    My 2 cents.
  11. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Yea I just backed up my apps and contacts off the phone just to make sure. I'm going to use DroidMod1.0 to root and get SPrecovery and I'm going to try out DroidMod, but I really want to try out Smoked Glass 5.0. I like using the whole DroidMod idea just because it does all the rooting and installation of SPrecovery it seems...from what I've read so far.

Question regarding overclocking. People who do it say that they install the kernels from ChevyNo1, the 5-slot ones since they seem to be more stable then the 10-slot ones. I just can't find anything anywhere explaining what the difference is between all the ESEs and EDEs. Like the ESE25 or whatever it is, and the EDE53 or EDE56, I don't know which ones I would need. I'm currently un-rooted and stock as of now. Let me know, thanks.
  12. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

ERE and ESE are build codes, think of them as alpha and beta versions of the 2.1 software. They are developed, and for some reason, they need to be changed, so the ROM developers get ahold of them and use them to make roms for us to use. I believe Adamz smoked glass it an ERE ROM, and Bugless, Black Droid, and Chevys SS are all ESE Roms.