Trying to figure out how to update my droid 4

Dalrint

Reaction score
So I rooted my phone when I first got it to turn off all the social networking crap and tether it to my netbook at work. And that's pretty much all I did with it. I used gemini app manager to freeze the bloatware (I was looking at a list of things we could freeze that I can't find now, this was six months ago).

But now I can't get my phone to update to the latest verizon os release. I am on 6.13.215 and when I try to update to 219, it downloads it, turns off the phone, tries to install it, then fails.

I went back and unfroze all the stuff I had frozen with gemini, but it doesn't help, it still crashes every time. I'm at a bit of a loss...honestly, I am not *that* technical when it comes to this phone, I've never looked into custom roms or anything like on my tablets because I didn't need them! But I'd really like to switch to 4.0 so...

Help, please?

Oh right! I have titanium backup on here, so I backed up all my apps and such onto my external sd card and tried the factory reset option that comes with the phone, and that didn't help either. It still crashes during install.

Last edited:

kwyrt

Reaction score
Sounds like your best and easiest corse of action is going to be to flash the ICS fastboot files. I would use the "Droid 4 Utility ICS Only" from the hacks section. Should be a piece of cake.

Sent from my Droid 4 - KILLRom

OP
D

Dalrint

Reaction score
Sounds like your best and easiest corse of action is going to be to flash the ICS fastboot files. I would use the "Droid 4 Utility ICS Only" from the hacks section. Should be a piece of cake.

Sent from my Droid 4 - KILLRom

That was surprisingly painless. Uhm. Thank you very much!

OP
D

Dalrint

Reaction score
Okay, so that went fine but now I am having a problem with tethering...I wonder if I should make a new thread?

Basically, I can't turn my wifi tether on now. I use foxfi (the paid version) and it worked mostly, before I upgraded. Now when I try to start it, it verifies my internet connection, it gets to step four, fails, and turns on my wifi connection instead.