Trying To Decide What ROM To Use?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by seVen, Mar 24, 2010.

1. seVen

seVen New Member

I've been researching and considering flashing a new ROM, (most likely Ultimate Droid) and was wondering what the advantages are in comparison to the ROM I'm currently running (Droid Mod 1.0)

While I understand it's a 2.1 vs. a 2.01, I don't see any added functionality in updating. Performance was another issue, as I came across another thread that reported in speed tests DM still seems to rank the highest overall.

I'd really like enlightened here, thanks
  2. Mercutio

Mercutio New Member

In my experience, all 2.1 ROMs are considerably snappier than are those based on 2.0.1 . This despite all of the 2.1s benching higher than all 2.0.1s.

Try for yourself - takes all of five minutes to switch.
  3. Humpa

Humpa New Member

+1 for Mercutio's post.
    Plus you will notice that all those results were not really significantly different from each other. But one thing the results don't tell you is how the phone "seems" - and it sure seems faster and more stable than a 2.0.1 rom.
  4. seVen

seVen New Member

Thanks for the quick responses. In regards to the switch from a 2.01 to 2.1 being a simple "five minute" process (while I understand five minutes was said figuratively) it does seem to be a tedious process going from 2.01 to 2.1, as /data needs wiped and what not, thus requiring a backup and restore, which then from what i understand interferes with the automatic updates process with apps restored from backup.
  5. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Titanium backups will be synced with the market - they'll still get updates. I think you have to download something from the market one time after you do a restore, just to get the market to "sync" up again. But once you do that, any restored app will get updates just like it is supposed to.
  6. Mercutio

Mercutio New Member

Most people who are posting on here aren't too worried about spending an hour or a few figuring out how things work with their phone. I'm now comfortable dissecting ROM updates and removing things I don't like, adding things which I want. It took me some time to get to this point.

If you're not comfortable messing around a bit, and you're happy with what you've got, then by all means stay where you are. 2.1 is only an incremental improvement over 2.0.1. It's not going to blow you away, and isn't sufficient reason to ignore real life priorities.

If you do decide to update, you should of course make a full advanced Nandroid backup, and copy that backup to a PC for safe keeping. This will allow you to revert if you find it too tedious to reinstall everything.

Titanium Backup, without donation, will take about 20-30 mins to restore your apps. For me, all apps were linked to the Market automatically. Were I to use Titanium again to restore my phone, I'd use the Donate version, which permits one touch backups; you tell it to backup, walk away, and it's done in 20 mins.

As it stands, the best solution for me is to simply use no app backup. Most programs which store user generated data, such as list apps and cetera, will have an internal option to backup to the SD card. I use this. All other apps I just restore from the market at my leisure. I only use a few on a daily basis, so it's no big deal.

Five minutes wasn't meant to be figurative, as I hadn't factored in the /data wipe.
Search tags for this page

android rom comparison

android rom comparisons
comparing android roms