Trying to avoid any pitfalls with OTA 4.5.608

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
Can I hold down those keys as soon as the droid guy shows? Is this similar to pressing the Tab key during some PC BIOS to show startup messages instead of a logo?? =)

tgambitg

Reaction score
Can I hold down those keys as soon as the droid guy shows? Is this similar to pressing the Tab key during some PC BIOS to show startup messages instead of a logo?? =)

it's exactly like that, yes

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
sounds like a nice little friday. hey i saw some of your other posts, and im wondering if i need to boot into stock recovery with x and then install update from there. would that ensure that i could see the error messages? the update is taking 1.5 hrs to download, so i wanna make sure i can see this error message without wasting too much time downloading. heh. thanks again

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
it's exactly like that, yes

OK so I gave it another shot this morning, here's what happens. I download the update and when it's done, it gives me the option to Install Now or Install Later. I choose Install Now and the phone then powers down, followed by powering back up. The white Moto logo shows for a few seconds, and then the Droid guy appears with the progress bar. I held down both Vol buttons as soon as I saw this update guy. I held them the entire time, and the <!> came again around 1/3 the way through the update. So, I don't know if I'm not pressing the keys at the right time, or what. Last night I tried holding down those keys during reboot (after it powered down, before it powered back up), and I was simply taken to a Bootloader, without any option to install. I also tried booting into Stock recovery and installing Update.zip, but it fails saying that it can't find it, so I'm guessing that the update.zip that gets downloaded will be deleted upon rebooted if the phone is rebooted without choosing the Install Now option (so the update is the thing rebooting the phone).

I'm downloading the update again now so I can try it different in a little while.

zac41189

Reaction score
Had the same issue and this is how I corrected it (after 2 failed attempts).

Do some google searching and find the official droid2 global .sbf file (.29 or .330) and download and install RSDlite to your pc.

There are several forums and vids on how to do this step by step. This will bring your phone to the out of the box stock state.

Flash the .sbf file onto your phone and it will reboot COMPLETELY STOCK.

Go to settings>about phone>check for updates. It will update perfectly this time and btw.. 4.5.608 is a VERY solid build. Love it so far and haven't found any issues or bugs in 3 days now.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
Had the same issue and this is how I corrected it (after 2 failed attempts).

Do some google searching and find the official droid2 global .sbf file (.29 or .330) and download and install RSDlite to your pc.

There are several forums and vids on how to do this step by step. This will bring your phone to the out of the box stock state.

Flash the .sbf file onto your phone and it will reboot COMPLETELY STOCK.

Go to settings>about phone>check for updates. It will update perfectly this time and btw.. 4.5.608 is a VERY solid build. Love it so far and haven't found any issues or bugs in 3 days now.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info!!! I have never had to take either of my Droids back to completely stock before, what all will I lose? I have most of my stuff on SDcard i believe. And apps/contacts will carry over with my google account so those should be fine. Just wondering if there are any gotchas regarding going back to stock. I'll give that a shot. Thanks again!

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
Before going SBF route, do you think doing a factory reset is worth a shot first? Since SBF will wipe all data anyways, I think I should try FR first since it's probably safer than flashing?

zac41189

Reaction score
If/when you .sbf you'll lose any installed free apps from the market (but they're free so no biggie) and any purchased apps will still be in the market under "my apps" so you can reinstall at your convenience. Other than that it'll be bone stock. I'd try a factory reset and see what happens. The .sbf is a sure fire way to update but the reset may be too. So try reset first (easier) than if not .sbf.

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
If/when you .sbf you'll lose any installed free apps from the market (but they're free so no biggie) and any purchased apps will still be in the market under "my apps" so you can reinstall at your convenience. Other than that it'll be bone stock. I'd try a factory reset and see what happens. The .sbf is a sure fire way to update but the reset may be too. So try reset first (easier) than if not .sbf.

My thinking exactly. Reset going through now, so i'll reactivate and try OTA again before doing anything else. Thanks

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
So yeah, performed factory reset, and OTA still fails. Thinking the next step is either A) contact verizon and see wtf is going on or B) SBF flash....I'd rather try A, but is there any way VZW can detect that I have rooted in the past?

silver6054

Reaction score
So yeah, performed factory reset, and OTA still fails. Thinking the next step is either A) contact verizon and see wtf is going on or B) SBF flash....I'd rather try A, but is there any way VZW can detect that I have rooted in the past?

I doubt if Verizon can help, and would probably know that you had rooted because that's really the most likely cause that the update fails. If you don't want to SBF yet, I would grab the .607 leak and try to manually install that. That way, you should at least get an error message indicating the first part that fails. And getting the leak will avoid having to download the update for 1.5 hours!

But really, doing an SBF is the best way to fix these things.

Last edited:
OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
I doubt if Verizon can help, and would probably know that you had rooted because that's really the most likely cause that the update fails. If you don't want to SBF yet, I would grab the .607 leak and try to manually install that. That way, you should at least get an error message indicating the first part that fails. And getting the leak will avoid having to download the update for 1.5 hours!

But really, doing an SBF is the best way to fix these things.

I'm downloading 2 SBF's right now, the 29 and the 33, which one should I do? I've got 33 on my phone now (what was on there when I got the phone). Do the file names of the SBFs have any importance? The 2 I got are named:
DROID2WE_X6_2.4.29_FULL.sbf
VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf