Trying out a Reflection Filter for Podcast?

Lillianvalentine

Reaction score
I'm trying to improve my podcast. Right now I really hate the fact that they sound like I recorded them in my bathroom. When I listen to some other peoples podcast it sounds good and clear. I know some people are using a studio room or whatever but still I can't go all out like that yet.

I've been thinking about picking up a reflection filter like one of these AE-F reflection filter
r2a.JPG

To see if it will help my cast sound a little bit more professional. I know most people use them for singing or whatever but do you think it would work well for a podcast too?

tonydelite

Reaction score
I have a lot of recording equipment in my house, and i'm used to recording things in less than ideal environments.

I would say from your description, it sounds like you are using some sort of condenser microphone. Am i correct? You need to be using a dynamic microphone. A condenser is going to pick up LOTS of acoustic characteristics of the room you are in. A dynamic microphone picks up very little of the background. I suggest something like a Shure SM58, or a Shure SM7B depending on how much money you have, and what kind of preamp you are using. May I ask for a list of all the equipment you are using?

OP
L

Lillianvalentine

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I have the Behringer podcast studio set
It came with the 502 Mixer, UCA200,a XM8500 Mic but I'm now using a Rolls power supply with a AT2020 Studio Microphone that my brother got me for Christmas when I complained about how the old one sounded. I also have a pop screen if that matters or not.

LillyV

vatothe0

Reaction score
You can make one of those for cheap.

Make a box with 5 sides and line it with acoustic foam. Make sure you have a way to get your mic in and out through the bottom. Had a teacher in college that used one for his home studio and he did professional voice work with it. $250/hr work.

Sent from my DROIDX

tonydelite

Reaction score
The AT2020 is a great mic, but it will pick up a lot of room noise. I would think the XM8500 would work better for what you're trying to do... what did you not like about the XM8500 sound?

OP
L

Lillianvalentine

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it sounded like it had that "white noise" effect. You know the sound you get when your changing stations on a cheap radio. Like that real ssssssssssssssssss like sound. I think it was that and that it also carried background noise that made me dislike it so much.

I actually ended up getting that filter and I really do like it so far with my new mic :icon_ banana: it sounds great. I've since moved my setup to a better area of our house as well that also helped because you're right this mic does pick up a lot of stuff sometimes.