Trying my first theme, need some help real quick

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by OneTenderRebel, Jan 16, 2011.

1. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

Ok so I am just messing around and trying my first theme. I am not much into colored themes but I do like themes that replace icons all together. If I want to replace an icon does it need to be replaced with an icon of a similar size? Say I am replacing the browser icon which appears to be 72x72 should I find one that is 72x72? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would try to search but I am really focused on trying to figure this stuff out, haha.
  2. listenman20

listenman20 Member

i really don't know much about this theming stuff but for what you're looking to do i thot there was an app called bettercut that done just what you are looking for.
  3. OneTenderRebel

yeah I know how to do it that way but I am trying to color icons and stuff like that as well. Thank you though I do appreciate the advice.
  4. B-boy™

B-boy™ Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel Theme Developer Premium Member

For the most part, yes.. you need to resize or find one the exact size... some icons will format themselves cause all my battery icons are like 200x125 but they always apply just right.. another thing is stay away from any .9.png's (they need 9patched to stretch correctly)... how are you going to apply the changes?... ninja morph, metamorph or via an update.zip?
  5. OneTenderRebel

update.zip. I am using a mac though and can't seem to figure out how to zip the apk back up properly after editing it. tried a number of programs, none working so far.
  6. B-boy™

B-boy™ Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel Theme Developer Premium Member

I'm not sure about the MAC but on windows you don't unzip it... or don't need to at least. Use a zip program like 7zip to open archive, open the folder you are wanting to changed icons in, drag the new images into there and it will replace the old ones if named exactly the same...
  7. thefigaman2

thefigaman2 New Member

try using winzip? im really new to this too and i found out that winzip can unzip and zip these kinda files..
  8. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

I use winzip to pull say framework-res.apk and then apk manager, paint.net, and GIMP to modify the images.

DroidForums Junkie!!