Try to make battery more efficient ....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thinkmega, Oct 8, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have two questions related to process control in Droid:

1. which application is behind UID 10005? I got this piece of info from "Spare Parts"'s battery history -> Partial Wake Usage. It doesn't use a lot but I'd like to know which process is tied to it.

2. what applications depend on "GenieRefreshService"? I thought it is tied to "News and Weather", which I unchecked the refresh button already.

What I tried to do is to make sure the processes running are indeed the processes I need.

Please help if you know the answers.

Thanks.

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't have an answer, I do have an opinion.

I don't understand why people stress out so much on the battery issue. Why worry about such minor stuff, surely you have better things to do.

Now I'm not putting you down, it's your phone and you can do what you like but to me it's a simple issue, easy and inexpensive to take care of. Buy a spare battery for 8.00 on Amazon, get an inexpensive wall charger (5.00) from ebay. If you use it heavily in your car you should have a charger there.

Fact is that these phones suck down a lot of juice and the majority of that comes from the display. Get a cradle and put your charger in it when your Droid is not in use by your desk. Trying to get an extra minute or two doing what you are doing just isn't worth it.

3. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, you are emotional today, filled with passion. What is going on?

Is it because Friday so you decided to let go everything?

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well I.certainly didn't mean for it to come out that way. Truthfully I'm just stating what I believe is a fact. The battery goes quickly and there is not much you can do about it. I hate to see people get so wrapped up on it that they lose the enjoyment of their phone. I make that speech a lot. I don't think.anyone listens.

Im sorry for draggi.g your thread off topic. You know there.are pro ahoy 15 battery threads every day. I'll keep my oplnion to myself.;) That's probably the best thing to do.

5. SSHGuru

SSHGuru Silver Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hook,

You are right. There is nothing anyone can do to significantly reduce battery usage except not use the phone. And what's the point of having it then?

I have two charging docks - one in my office one in my bedroom. That takes care of my power issues since when I'm not using it it's charging and it's a clock.

6. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having two charging docks reflect your own preference. It happens other people want to take it to a different level, just like root it or not root it.

So I guess nobody knows the answers then...

7. captdroid

captdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I agree :)

8. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems the questions are posted at the wrong place since the responses show a consumer mentality at a "hack" oriented forum.

While I was not able to get the answers here nor from googling, I turned to logcat. I think the system log provides the hint what UID=10005 is. Most likely it is the process of Genie Refresh Service. Here is the log message:

I/ActivityManager( 1094): Start proc android.process.acore for content provider com.android.providers.userdictionary/.UserDictionaryProvider: pid=1211 uid=10001 gids={3003, 1015}
    I/ActivityManager( 1094): Start proc com.google.process.gapps for content provider com.google.android.gsf/.gservices.GservicesProvider: pid=1213 uid=10005 gids={3003, 2001, 1007}
    D/ConnectivityService( 1094): getMobileDataEnabled returning true

I think this logcat is a useful tool, in case you want to explore more about how the processes are loaded.

Just a update.

9. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    If you are rooted and don't the news and weather widget, you can safely delete (or rename) /system/app/GenieWidget.apk. that is indeed the apk for the news and weather widget. Now if you aren't rooted then you should probably follow Hook's advise as stressing over something you can't modify will get you nowhere.

10. mikespe

mikespe Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I hope I can tag on to this thread since I can tell if I start a new battery thread I'll make people mad :-( I just rooted my phone Tuesday and I love what I can do. I am keeping the phone stock except for overclocking the processor. I went with one of the Chevy LV kernels (250-1200). I overclocked to 1.2 after keeping at 1.1 for a day or so to test temperature/stability. It worked great. I went to 1.2 last night. I noticed this morning that my charged dropped to 15% by 6pm (I take off charge about 6:30am). Before I rooted/overclocked I was able to go until about 10-11pm on a single charge. Now I didn't worry about it the first few days that I was rooted because I was playing with the phone so much more than before! :) But today I didn't have time to play more than I used to before root and I got the low battery warning about 6pm. I use my phone today for music (streaming & mp3), minimal texting, and checking email/facebook...so nothing real intense...

Do you think overclocking is draining the battery that much more than before root? I still keep GPS on but I did that before I rooted as well. I am using SetCPU to monitor the battery and underclock with certain situations like when the battery get to 40% then again to 20%...(also for temperature but I have been between 30-36c since overclocking...)

Thanks and sorry for another battery question!

11. kyle94481

kyle94481 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, overclocking is probably the culprit to your problem. Just drop it back down to 1.1.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

12. xkape

xkape Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I just don't get it. I play Angry Birds for about 2 hours a day (yep, I'm after 3 stars), I talk for about an hour, I text about 50 per day, I have widgets running, my phone is set at 1000max and 250min, I surf the web about 30 minutes a day and I am constantly perusing the market for new apps. If I take my phone fully charged off the charger at 6am (as I do every morning), it lasts until about 7pm the NEXT day.

I'm not doing anything special. Just use Juice Defender and have my screen dimmed is about it.

Heck, I'm still at 80% after doing all that from 6am today on. It's 11:06pm here now.

Search tags for this page
android uid 10005
how to make a battery more efficient
how to make droid bionic more efficient
how to make my thunderbolt battery more efficient
how to make your android phone more efficient

uid 10005

uid 10005 android