Try Out The Samsung Gear VR At Your Local BestBuy This Sunday

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Virtual Reality has always fascinated me. I can remember renting the Virtual Boy headset from Blockbuster. In my 8 year old mind that was the coolest thing ever. I only had about a week to play with it, but to me this was virtual reality. Not to much longer there was a "Virtuallity" Arcade game with a headset which was pretty advanced at the time. With the headset on you entered a world of lines and boxes. VR has come a long way since those days.

The Oculus Rift has been blazing the path for modern virtual reality and these days true virtual reality seems to be within reach. Movie and content creators are actually starting to film with 360 cameras. They are filming scenes that allow you to have a different experience based on how or where you are looking into the scene.

Entrance into the VR world has been pretty high for the past several years. If you want a Developer Kit Oculus Rift (ie not the finished product), you will need to shell out $500. Google brought a more affordable albeit less comfortable VR alternative with Google Cardboard. There are even companies like VX1 that are bringing some VResque products to market (their headset only enlarges your screen). Samsung has found the sweetspot in my eyes with their $200 Gear VR. It uses the same technology and design as the Oculus Rift and uses your Note 4 as the screen. The only setback is that you have to already own the Note4.

If you are weary about dropping $200 on a phone accessory you will be happy to know that this Sunday you will be able to give the Gear VR a try prior to buying at some local Best Buy stores. I for one will be heading to Best Buy to give this gadget a try.

via BestBuy

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Is there a list of locations? The source link just took me to the listing for the vr on mobile.

Doubting that the tiny Best Buy that's about an hour & a half away will have demos.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Had commented but nevermind...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I know, but I don't want to be looked upon as a downer, killjoy, Motorola Fanboy (no matter how true it may be), pessimist, whatever.

I am just frustrated, feel as though I am the kid sitting on the sidelines and not allowed to play because I don't have the right "equipment". So I am bitter.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I know, but I don't want to be looked upon as a downer, killjoy, Motorola Fanboy (no matter how true it may be), pessimist, whatever.

I am just frustrated, feel as though I am the kid sitting on the sidelines and not allowed to play because I don't have the right "equipment". So I am bitter.
FoxKat's having a sexual identity crisis.

At least the gear vr software isn't going to hold up your lollipop update even though you don't own the device.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As an update. We have a pretty big Best Buy store in our city. They didn't have a unit to try out. They didn't have it for sale. They looked at me like I was an idiot, and they had never heard that the Gear VR might be available to try out at various locations.

Was anyone able to try it out.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
As an update. We have a pretty big Best Buy store in our city. They didn't have a unit to try out. They didn't have it for sale. They looked at me like I was an idiot, and they had never heard that the Gear VR might be available to try out at various locations.

Was anyone able to try it out.

My local Best Buy doesn't have a demo unit either.

My friend owns one, so I've tried it a few times at his house. I'll probably pick one up for myself sooner rather than later.