True story about how CHP + Android + Google Latitude saved the day

OP
M

mapexvenus

Reaction score
We figured that the thieves would have eventually turned the cell phone off. I think they just didn't think that we would begin tracking them as soon as they took off and were busy trying to get away and put as much distance between us and them. The beauty of this story is that the first responders to the incident were the victims (us) and we used tools that were immediately available at our disposal.

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Totally cool post - Glad it went so well.
I have a good friend that's CHP, I'll show him this thread, he'll lov it :)

Note to thief. If you steal anything electronic device take the damn battery out. Cant tell you how many stories i hear of idiots stealing phones and leaving them running or using them.

We should all be careful in these kind of threads, not to educate the criminals .... :)

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

Five-0

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I love these devices. Another good app for such things is "Loopt".

I have used Google Maps specifically the topography view and the satellite view when searching for missing persons or wanted persons. When people run in the woods they don't like to run up hill. You can practically predict where they will head to and have other officers in the area. It is also great for giving helicopters exact GPS coordinates to bring them into you also. We have had computers in the patrol cars for some time, but I like having one on me too.

I would love to see some app for reading hazardous cargo placards for big rig and train accidents. I wish the "Trapster" app had a way for drivers to mark accidents too. Just an app for showing traffic conditions based on travel times by using GPS would cool. Of course more people would participate if their privacy wasn't a concern.

Jer

Reaction score
What a kick ass story. I ALWAYS keep my phone on me 24/7 even if I'm just getting out of the car 'for a second' because you never know when an emergency may happen. My wife on the other hand leaves her phoen anywhere and everywhere so I can actually seeing this being of some benefit should this situation ever happen to us! lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like it so much I want to sticky it. I love happy endings but this is probably the best Droid story I've ever read. Sweet.