True slow motion app??

Rickenbacker4001

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung galaxy s3
Seems just about Every Android slo-mo app I've tried sucks. None come close to the true slow motion video I've seen on iPhones.

Am I overlooking one?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum @Rickenbacker4001. Which ones have you tried and which Apple App are you referring too?

OP
R

Rickenbacker4001

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung galaxy s3
I believe the Apple app is called SloPro.
On Android, I've tried SloPro, another called Slow Motion Video & a few others I can't recall now, but currently have Slow Motion Video FX installed. That one is OK so far, but still not *quite* as smooth & dramatic as what I've seen on the iPhone. I'd read online that SloPro works better on the Apple & there're dozens of slow mo app options for Androids, but many have lower ratings.
I'd love for it to look like this:

All of mine turn out slowed but slightly blurry.
Any recommendations?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm no pro, but I believe the recorded frame rate has a lot to do with the slow motion output. What frame rate are you recording at?
That clip you included says 240 frames per second.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rickenbacker4001

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung galaxy s3
Here's an answer I was given elsewhere:

Most, if not all recent Android models do indeed offer stock slow motion recording, but so far I've only seen it at 720p @ 120fps. Not sure how that compares to the iPhone, but it makes a .25x speed video played back at the standard 30fps. Because you're essentially recording at 4 times the normal frame rate, it takes a lot more processing power. That's why something like the S3 can't do it even with a third party app.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My Nexus 6P will do 120 or 240fps. I believe the 5X only does 120. These are new phones this year, while the S3 is several years older.

To get super clear quality slow motion videos, I'd have to agree with that statement that a newer phone would be a better option.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Note 4 will take a slow motion video, then give the playback options of 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 speed. I assume that it's recorded at 240fps...
I took a short clip of rolling flames in my wood stove, and it is pretty good quality.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

JacobVR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
On Android, I've tried SloPro and I don't prefer this one