true newbie question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by russelltw, Jan 21, 2010.

1. russelltw

russelltw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Board,

I am NOT a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but would like know what is used to create apps for the android system.

What do you typically use to create and test your app? Are most of you programmers by trade or is this more of a side hobby.

Thanks in advance for entertaining a newbie...
    Russelltw

2. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Android SDK is all you technically need. It allows you to run your code on an emulated environment. Eclipse is the suggested IDE, but really any text editor is technically sufficient (and many of the hard-core programmers prefer low-key simple editors like emacs, notepad, nano, etc).

I won't speak for most but I am a programmer by hobby, electrical engineer by study :D

3. russelltw

russelltw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    natergator,

thanks for the reply. What code do you typically program with?

My background is chemical engineering, so I had a little programming in college (some time ago) and with an engineer's mind set, you have to understand everything down to it's most basic level.

Thanks
    Russelltw

4. justbob

justbob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been playing around with the SDK as well and have discovered that Eclipse is almost a necessity. There's a whole lot it does for you behind the scenes. I'm particularly impressed with the way it can automatically package your code as an .apk and install it on the emulator or dev phone for you. Very nice.

5. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I typically program with C++. I took a class on Java back in highschool and have retained a familiarity with it, but Android spurned me to brush up on my stuff and get active with Java again. Once you know the syntax of the major OOP languages it is just a matter of learning the APIs specific to each language and learning the caveats and what not of each.

6. nerdkill

nerdkill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't know if this is the right thread for this, but here it goes. if anyone has any links to better ones i would really appreciate it. i want to learn how to develop apps just as a hobby and have been having a hard time with it. i have zero dev experience so i really need something that starts from scratch, nothing is too basic. from what i've read i need to learn java first. i've been trying to find a good book to learn from, but everything is so out of date it that it doesn't translate well. is there any books or anything else anyone can recommend? is it pointless to try and teach myself? i am so far from any community colleges i would hate to have to drive so far to learn something i could do on my own. please help! thank youuuu

7. droid_mike

droid_mike Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try this:
    simple - Project Hosting on Google Code

It's Visual BASIC-like code that will run on Android. Take a look. It really is "simple", albeit limited and still buggy. The code is compiled, though, so nobody would know the difference if they installed your app on their machine.

If you want to learn Java (the basis of Android apps), there are tons of books on the subject, most you can find at your local library, just remember that Java uses a different framework, but the language and syntax are similar. Once familiar with Java, you can take a look at the Android books out there. Developing on Android has a big learning curve, but the process is very straightforward and not too difficult oonce you know what you're supposed to do..

8. nerdkill

nerdkill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for the advice. do you have any specific recommendations for reading? i've picked up about 3 books so far and they have all been pretty out of date. i haven't tried the library though, just book stores.

9. droid_mike

droid_mike Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Java hasn't changed that much over the years, and the actual language hardly at all (just the frameworks and classes), so any beginners book will be good to get you started (Java 2.5 or higher preferred). O'Reilly media publishes the best computer books. They have pictures of animals on the cover.

Develop a few simple Java apps and you'll be ready to go with Android. Just do a few console apps. Don't mess with applets or beans or any of that stuff. You won't be bothering with any of that in Android Android development is complex in that there's lots of stuff you have to keep track of, but the actual programming is quite easy once you know what you need to do.

There is a good site out there with tutorials and other info (besides the official developer site):

Board :: anddev.org - Android Development Community | Android Tutorials

#9 droid_mike, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  10. nerdkill

nerdkill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you so much for your advice, i really appreciate it.