1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

TroubleShooting Possibly Bricked Phone

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by spilt, Jun 2, 2010.

1. spilt

spilt New Member

The Phone: :motdroidvert:
    Stock Rooted 2.1 ESE81
    P3 Kernel 550-1000Mhz, set to On demand by SetCPU
    Black Glass Theme

Purchased:
    from Amazon Wireless, 24.99 + plan.

What Happened:

In flight from Chicago to Philly, after having shut it off for take off, I attempt to turn it on and it stays at the "M logo" screen. Pressing the power button didn't turn it off. Taking the battery out turned the phone off. Putting the battery back in, then pressing power brought me to the "M logo" screen, where it stayed indefinitely.

I just used the phone an hour earlier from LAX to Chicago. I listened to music, while in Airplane Mode that flight. It was working normally, and had no prior problems prior to this.

When I land and get to my destination I try a few things.
    1.) I reboot the phone using SPrecovery (power button + X) and can get into the SPR menu.
    2.) I tried a reboot from there. Same situation-- Stuck M logo
    3.) I restore to a previous backup. Same situation-- Stuck M logo
    4.) I wipe/reset to factory default. Same situation-- Stuck M logo
    5.) At some point the phone wouldn't turn on at all, unless I had it plugged in to the charger. So thinking that the battery might be the problem, I leave it on the charger that night (about 10 hours). All night its on the M logo screen. I wake up to take the battery out, and power it on and Same Situation occurs.
    6.) I can still get into SPR menu no problem and still can, but after various nandroid restores and factory resets, I am stuck with the same situation.

After I get home with access to my desktop I try a few more things.
    1.) I connect via USB and like I thought, the computer doesn't recognize a new usb device. Not sure why I was expecting anything but I was hoping I could use RSDlite to flash a factory rom. No luck.
    2.) I reboot using power + D-pad UP. I get a screen saying BootLoader 2C.6C. Additionally below it says "Battery Low Cannot Program." I thought it was a battery problem then, but I don't have any way of affirming this as I do have it plugged in all night and can't charge it any other way. After about 20 seconds, this screen goes back to the M logo screen. And thus-- same situation.
    3.) I don't have access to other batteries for the droid, though I could purchase one, but only if someone here deems it necessary. My other option is to return the phone for repair.
    4.) Without a connection to the charger, the droid won't even turn on.

Current Questions
    1.) Is there anything else I can do now from my end? Otherwise I will look into mailing this phone in to Motorola and hope to get it repaired.
    2.) After a factory reset, taking the Micro SDcard out, is there anything else I need to do to make it stock, non-rooted? I can't verify that my factory reset actually worked. I'm worried about voiding my warranty obviously.
    3.) Anyone familiar with returning purchased items through amazon that can give me advice?
    4.) Can I suspend service fees through verizon till my phone gets repaired. I'm sure after the 5-10 day send, and 5-10 day return of items, the whole process could take a month I figure.

Other thoughts:

I don't think my phone is bricked to be honest. Theoretically it might be my battery. Short of buying a new one or sending it in to motorola, I can't be sure. I do not know anyone with a droid (but I'll look around) to borrow their battery. I do not know if I can walk into a Verizon Store and ask them for help as not having purchased the phone through them.

I read numerous threads about bricked phones and got valuable information. But it seemed that others were able to proceed further, (i.e. at least load into a 2.0.1 boot). I can't even get that far.

I'll wait to hear some suggestions before I proceed to turn my phone in or buy a new battery.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

How do you recharge the battery? USB cable to the computer or plugged into a wall charger with motorola's name on it?

I've read serveral times that the USB port on a computer does not put enough amps out to charge a completely dead battery. Seems silly to me...but enough people have said it so it must be true, right?

Nate
  3. spilt

spilt New Member

all charging has been done through the wall charger. I've only recently had access to my desktop to connect to it.

I'm in the midst of trying to contact verizon and see what they say. I can only hope now that I've taken all the steps necessary to rid my phone of root activities.
  4. Shelooga

Shelooga New Member

id say take it to a verizon store and ask if they will swap a battery just so you can test that theory. the worst theyll say is no but through my experience theyd be willing to help
    i dont have any other ideas considering you seemed to have covered all bases
  5. spilt

spilt New Member

Update: I call verizon and as soon as I go to the store, I'll be able to pick up another battery to see if that solves my problem. If it doesn't, they'll mail me a refurbished phone while I send this one in. All in all, a very quick and efficient possible solution.

Its just frustrating as the error occurred without rhyme or reason. I wish I could point to something, but oh well.
  6. Shelooga

Shelooga New Member

Its just frustrating as the error occurred without rhyme or reason. I wish I could point to something, but oh well.[/QUOTE]

thats why i wont fly. well good luck with the refurbed. at least youll get that before they discover(if they discover) you rooted
  7. bje1982

bje1982 New Member

I hope you know how to unroot and get that back to stock because if the warranty dept gets a droid back thats rooted you might get charged full price or forced to return the new one...

just a heads up
  8. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    It sounds to me that you have a battery/charging problem. First thing is to check that you have a Motorola charger and usb cord. I have seen several issues with the phones not charging or acting funny when the owner used a generic charger or usb cord.

I would plug the phone up and make sure you have the little white indicator light (next to the outlet on your phone) lit. This is a good indication that it is charging. Let the phone charge for a few hours and see if it will boot up. If so problem solved.

If not, try getting a replacement battery.

Either way I do not think your phone is bricked or needs to be returned.

Hope this helps.
  9. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie

Glad to hear. I think you will find that this is a battery issue not a problem with your phone. Just make sure that you are using a Motorola charger and usb cord.
  10. spilt

spilt New Member

In my previous post I explained the few things that were possible to do--Wipe to factory resets via sprecovery menu, and take my SD card out. I can't even verify that the wipe took place as it doesn't boot.... I can't flash anything on it at the moment. I can read how to unroot, and even though I have, knowing how doesn't help here as doing it isn't possible :mellow:
  11. spilt

spilt New Member

Let me update:

Verizon sends me another battery via mail and I put that in. No luck. The phone is hot as hell however, so something beyond my knowledge is happening.

However this time the battery has a charge and can get into bootloader. I plan to flash to 2.0.1 via RSDlite once the SBF downloads as per instructions on this site.

Question:

Will this be enough to cover my tracks. I don't even suspect they can even boot this thing anymore but if they happen to, I hope this won't show any rooting.

Secondly I plan to save my sdcard till the replacement and switch them.

Anyone see anything wrong with my approach? Let me know. It might save me alot of money.
  12. spilt

spilt New Member

2nd update:

I flashed to 2.0.1 and the phone boots up now. I'm syncing with google as we speak. I'll apply the 2.1 update when its available to me and I think I might just stay non rooted for now after this scare.

Is it safe to say that it was some problem with some application with the p3 kernel, or some theme? Its beyond my expertise to be honest. I might go buy a stand alone charger and another battery in case this ever happens again.

After a reboot, its still working fine. I have a lot of apps to load and some customizing to do... probably will take days but thankfully its synced with google and don't have to worry about lost data.

I guess I just have to wait for 2.1 to automatically update or is there some process to go through on my part? I'll find out.

To all those that helped, thank you very much. This is a great community online. I hope some knowledge here will help out those in the future that might come across this similar but rare circumstance.
  13. mike919

mike919 New Member

if you were stuck on the M logo it HAD to be a kernel issue. I wouldn't run that p3 kernel again... they are starting to show up as running hot. stick to a LV kernel...
  14. spilt

spilt New Member

yeah thanks for the advice. I'm sure it brought the life span of the electronics down... hopefully it won't break down after the 1 year warranty.
Search tags for this page
a855 droid trouble shoot

droid a855 troubleshooting

droid a855 won't turn on

motorola droid 4 stuck on m logo after removing battery void
motorola droid a855 trouble shooting