Troubles with WiFi Tether

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sportsmaniac1322, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Sportsmaniac1322

Sportsmaniac1322 New Member

I like using my Droid in school to give internet to my iPod Touch, and it works great. The only problem is that once my iPod connects to it, anyone else can connect to it as well. I have a password set and I have access control enabled, but anyone can still go to my network, type in a random password, and have full internet access from my phone. Obviously I don't want them stealing data usage from my phone, so how do I fix this?
  2. CoyG

CoyG New Member

You use your phone instead of your ipod touch.
  3. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

yes i'm confused as to why you don't just use your droid for internet too. lol
  4. creamers

creamers New Member

Alot of schools wont let you use a phone but will let you use a iPod if your in high school or something. Also the iPod has alot of apps that require internet.
  5. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

as long as you have a password set and its not too easy to guess then you will be fine. also you can see who is tethering off your droid so if you see an un authorized user, give them the boot and make a new password :)
  6. r314bd

r314bd New Member

What version of the WiFi Tether app are you running? If it's an older version, try the newest one from here
  7. texasPI

texasPI New Member

Just enable access control.
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Are you saying that Access Control and WEP encryption are both broken in the tethering app? I find it hard to believe that is true - you'd think we would have heard about it before now if that were the case. I haven't actually tried to connect with an invalid password or non-allowed mac address, though, so maybe I should try this out.
  9. Howsthisthingwork

Howsthisthingwork New Member

I can't enable access control on my Wireless Tethering. I recvd a message during setup saying my kernel doesn't support access control.

Currently running BB1.1, DroidMod kernel, OC'd to 800.

Does anybody know which kernels do and don't support enabling access control?

Also, is anybody having temp spikes while tethering? Mine jumps from mid-80's up to 104 within 5 minutes of being tethered.
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

This is the first I've heard of a kernel supporting wireless tethering but NOT supporting access control. I imagine the people at DroidMod may want to hear about this if that is true.

I know that the Adamz 1.1Ghz kernel supports access control without a problem (or at least, without any errors).

That's normal - using that much wifi generates a lot of heat and sucks a lot of battery. I would recommend having SetCPU set up with a failsafe profile that clocks it back down to 550 or 600 when the temp gets that high. No need to overclock when tethering anyway - who cares if the phone is running slowly - you're not going to be using it while you're tethering anyway.
  11. Howsthisthingwork

Howsthisthingwork New Member

Thanks for the advice. I modified the SetCPU settings. Am tethering right now (have been for about 15 minutes) and temp is steady at 95F. I also took the back off the BodyGlove case to help with the heat dissipation.

Also, there's a warning notification in the top status bar regarding Access Control. When I click on the warning I can activate Access Control, but then I don't have internet access. I'm still tethered, but I can't get online. If I try to activate Access Control via the settings within Wireless Tether for Root Users, it won't let me. Weird.
  12. Sportsmaniac1322

Sportsmaniac1322 New Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. Any random person can just type in a random password and be connected to my internet. I've had 5 people on my WiFi at once using a password that's not even possible with the encryption I'm using. I'm not quite sure how to stop this. I'm running DroidMod if that helps.
  13. navysqrrl

navysqrrl New Member

This is the same for me, and I'm running the newest AdamZ Glass 6.01 with 2.1. I had the same issue with 2.01. Access control "works", and when unauthorized people would connect, it would show the (X) and say unauthorized but they could still access everything as if they were authorized. Tested with multiple phones and connections, and when an ipod is connected, everyone has full access regardless of restrictions. I will be attempting without ipod later on to see if it still allows even though restricted too.
  14. CoyG

CoyG New Member

I tested this with my phone and roommates computer was able to connect with a random password but didn't get any internet. I haven't tested this with other computers. Also when her computer was fully connected i was either a) unable to disconnect the computer from my network or b) unable to figure out how to do it.
  15. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Access Control works as designed on my kernel. A network connection to the net cannot be established unless I allow it, from the phone. Just tested it. Connects to AP, but cannot browse until i authorize.
Search tags for this page

find wifi d password with android use on ps3