Trouble with pictures in Gmail?

raven1911

Reaction score
I always seem to get pictures that I cannot open in Gmail. I know about the "show pictures" tab and I hit it but pictures do not open. There is just a spot where the picture would be and a little cube in the center. Does this just mean the picture type is not supported by the Droid, or is there a setting I am missing?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is probably from the lack of Flash support at the moment...but its coming soon!!

Steve H

Reaction score
I have noticed the same problem with any .gif pictures. all pictures sent as .jpg work fine.

mjs31

Reaction score
Known issue with Gmail mobile. Not just on the Droid and has been like this since the G1. It only happens to pictures that are inserted (many call it embedded even though they really aren't) into the body of the message. For example....some using outlook selects insert Picture and it puts it in the body of the message. When you get this email you cannot see the image using gmail mobile. It does not happen to vendor emails etc since they use true html embedding and go through their own servers. Unfortunately there is no fix for this. Many will say they get all their images, but they don't understand. As long as someone attaches in the regular way you get them. There are a couple of options although not perfect.
1) You can just use your browser to access gmail via the website. Here you can get the images.

2) Use K-9 as your email app. It does not show the images in the body itself, but will have them as attachments at the bottom of the page so you can see them.

I am hoping Google fixes this someday soon...

mjs31

Reaction score
I have noticed the same problem with any .gif pictures. all pictures sent as .jpg work fine.
Actually, JPG inserted into the body will also not show up. Anyone can test this for themselves. Just make sure you choose insert image rather than attach image. Then send it to yourself. If it was actually part of the body, you will not see the image in the body.

OP
raven1911

raven1911

Reaction score
Known issue with Gmail mobile. Not just on the Droid and has been like this since the G1. It only happens to pictures that are inserted (many call it embedded even though they really aren't) into the body of the message. For example....some using outlook selects insert Picture and it puts it in the body of the message. When you get this email you cannot see the image using gmail mobile. It does not happen to vendor emails etc since they use true html embedding and go through their own servers. Unfortunately there is no fix for this. Many will say they get all their images, but they don't understand. As long as someone attaches in the regular way you get them. There are a couple of options although not perfect.
1) You can just use your browser to access gmail via the website. Here you can get the images.

2) Use K-9 as your email app. It does not show the images in the body itself, but will have them as attachments at the bottom of the page so you can see them.

I am hoping Google fixes this someday soon...

Thanks! I will try the K-9 app and see how it works.