Trouble with .mp4 playback

mikeDROID69

Reaction score
I cannot get these type of videos to play. I even converted them to just mpeg and wmv, and they wont even open. The .mp4 plays audio but not video, the screen is just black. Any ideas?

OP
M

mikeDROID69

Reaction score
do u mean DIVX? I dont think it does either, but I didnt say DIVX...I said .mp4 and the phone specs say it supports it

OP
M

mikeDROID69

Reaction score
then it should be built in correct? the manufacturer specs say it plays .mp4

matt30

Reaction score
No. There are hundreds of different codecs that people use for .mp4 shell files. The phone supports H.264, H.263, AlAC, WMA . DIVX happens to be the popular one when you DL unlicensed material off the internet.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikeDROID69

Reaction score
well i fixed it by downloading AVS4you converter and converted it to .mp4 for android and it worked.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If it plays properly on your computer I highly HIGHLY recommend that you get HANDBRAKE and save the file using the portable device preset.

I have a movie in DVD quality right now on my Droid but it's too high of a resolution to watch. Like you I only get sound. But I have a low-rez version that's in a format close to my Droid's resolution. Works perfectly.

OP
M

mikeDROID69

Reaction score
thanks dusty...so handbrake converts already stored files?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
What exactly do you mean by "already stored"? You'll have to transfer the file to your computer and convert them, then put them back on your Droid. If not it increases the conversion time.

Is that what you mean?