trouble with contacts after root!

trueband007

Reaction score
hey guys, so i rooted my motorola razr xt910 from rogers using the doomslord method. i then used titanium app to uninstall some of the bloatware that wasn't needed. now it force closes everytime i try to access the contacts or make a new one. i can keep it clicked and make a call or write texts. but can't access or edit them. i don't remember uninstalling any apps related to contacts. i realised now i shud've just freezed the apps. can anyone help me out here?!

gling

Reaction score
If you froze or deleted "Yahoo Mail Authenticator", it will force close every time you try to open or edit any contact. There could be others but I know from experience, that is one that will do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

todroid

Reaction score
If you froze or deleted "Yahoo Mail Authenticator", it will force close every time you try to open or edit any contact. There could be others but I know from experience, that is one that will do it.

There are others. I never froze that one and I had some trouble with Contacts app. Might be Backup+Contacts app or something else, but I did not troubleshoot. Just restored a backup.

To OP: For your sake, I hope you ran a nandroid backup right after rooting and clockwork install. Then just go back. If not, you'll need whatever app is causing this. Did you backup all your apps with TiB (batch backup) before you started uninstalling some of them?
You may be able to compare your system/app folder to a system dump for the Razr that is floating on the web (you can find that on XDA), find whatever apps you're missing, put them back into the system folder, check permissions, and you should be able to go. But a backup is always better.

OP
T

trueband007

Reaction score

yup thats sounds about right. i remember uninstalling ''Yahoo Mail Authenticator''. i did not think b4 i did cuz i never use yahoo. any idea how to get it back? i don't have a back up. n thanks a lot fer the info!

OP
T

trueband007

Reaction score
There are others. I never froze that one and I had some trouble with Contacts app. Might be Backup+Contacts app or something else, but I did not troubleshoot. Just restored a backup.

To OP: For your sake, I hope you ran a nandroid backup right after rooting and clockwork install. Then just go back. If not, you'll need whatever app is causing this. Did you backup all your apps with TiB (batch backup) before you started uninstalling some of them?
You may be able to compare your system/app folder to a system dump for the Razr that is floating on the web (you can find that on XDA), find whatever apps you're missing, put them back into the system folder, check permissions, and you should be able to go. But a backup is always better.

i don't have a back up:( i was careful to only remove apps that i absolutely did not need. i guess i'll just look for the yahoo authenticator app that is causing this. thanx a lot fer the info though!

ddfuji

Reaction score
hey guys, so i rooted my motorola razr xt910 from rogers using the doomslord method. i then used titanium app to uninstall some of the bloatware that wasn't needed. now it force closes everytime i try to access the contacts or make a new one. i can keep it clicked and make a call or write texts. but can't access or edit them. i don't remember uninstalling any apps related to contacts. i realised now i shud've just freezed the apps. can anyone help me out here?!

Shouldn't of uninstalled... I know that freezing corporate sync also causes force closes. I froze it and it did this to me. Unfroze it and it went away. I was reading forums on what to freeze and wat not too. Seeing that yahoo kept giving people problems I just stayed away from it.

ddfuji

Reaction score
i don't have a back up:( i was careful to only remove apps that i absolutely did not need. i guess i'll just look for the yahoo authenticator app that is causing this. thanx a lot fer the info though!

Nuke and pave!

gling

Reaction score

You might want to think about flashing back to stock with the recently released fastboot files as any other pre-installed apps you deleted would prevent you from receiving future OTA's.
Once back to stock you'll have to update then root again and make yourself a backup before freezing any bloat with TB.
Just make sure you get the correct version of the fastboot file that matches your phone. Check XDA under "RAZR Android Development".

ksteele36

Reaction score
Droid X trouble with adding contacts after root

For me it was the "Corporate Sync" app I froze after rooting my Droid X... The phone would not let me add a new contact. I unfroze the corporate sync app and it began working again np. So, thanks for this thread! "KSteele"