Trouble synching Exchange contacts from work to phone

01chevy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
I just signed up for this forum and I'm new to the DroidX2, so please go easy on me. :)

Here's the deal: I just got this new DX2 for work on Monday and, by Friday, leave it to me to get a new toy and "break" it! :frown:
Reading thru the forum posts throughout the week, I taught myself how to root this guy, and was even able to flash Eclipse v2.0.1. so I thought I was catching on pretty well...'til Friday night.

While I was uninstalling all the bloatware, I accidentally removed the "contacts sync" and "contacts storage" apps. Needless to say, the process com.motorola.contacts is fc'ing now. (At least I know what I did if that helps).

I thought I could restore the deleted files simply by going into android recovery and doing an "erase data/factory reset", but that didn't bring back com.motorola.contacts.

However, the phone does continue to boot up normally into the Eclipse ROM and goes to the home screen w/o issue. I tried re-installing my corporate account settings again, but the second the settings are validated and the work contacts syncing begins, I get the force close message again.

From reading some of the other posts, I hearing some people say to:

1. flash a stock recovery image (not sure how to do this -- if someone would be so kind as to provide some instructions, I'll do my best to follow them)
2. install a "Yahoo Mail Authenticator" (not sure if this applies to me since I don't have a Yahoo account but, pardon my "newbiness"...enlighten me please.
3. install some sort of system image file
4. install some .apk file(s) from somewhere

Unfortunately, I don't have a backup file to fall back on yet as I just finished flashing the ROM, and was planning on using ROM Manager/Toolbox to do this (until this contacts issue happened)

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide...I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to get this fixed as the phone is new & there is nothing of value on it (yet). Finally, I'm glad my boss is going on vacation starting next Monday!! :biggrin:

Matt

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Option 1 sounds like the easiest way to go. I don't have much experience w Motorola phones so I can't help you with instructions but someone should be around to help you soon.

OP

01chevy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response enlightened...

Since going to be at 2 a.m. :), I've discovered some encouraging news...
I've somehow figured out how to get my phone back to stock. First thing I did (as a test) was to set up my GMail acct and I'm happy to say those contacts are synching now w/o any errors, force closes, etc. Fortunately, the phone's still rooted as I have a superuser and system recovery icon & access as part of my apps.

Next step:
I already figured out I can't just reboot -> go into Android recovery ->install zip from sd card and point to my Eclipse ROM's zip file because Motorola's bootstrap recovery routine (I think that's what they call it?) checks for a special "motorola" sig verification, doesn't find it, and just ends up failing every time.

So, I rebooted normally, went into the System Recovery app, chose "Install Recovery", plugged the phone into an AC charger, then chose the 2nd option "Recovery Mode" and just let the thing reboot. However, I think I'm forgetting something really basic thing when it begins the reboot.

I think I'm getting a little confused at this point. When the phone begins to reboot, should I just stare @ it, leave it alone, and it will automatically take me to the green "Droid X2 Recovery" menu (when I can then togge the sig verification menu option & process to flash my ROM (i.e. install zip from SDCARD)???

I thought I was supposed to be holding down the power & vol up buttons to somehow bypass the Motorola bootloader, and make the phone see the "green" menu, but I'm not sure. I also tried actually going into the white "Android Recovery" menu option & holding down BOTH the vol up/down buttons, but that doesn't bring up the green menu options either.

If my thinking is correct, once I can get to the green menu options, there should be an option to toggle sig verification which I would choose. Then, I should be able to flash my Eclipse ROM...or am I completely off-base on this one.

Either way, off-base or not, at least I'll have a job on Monday!!:icon_ banana: